blew it up

42 replies to this topic
  • doctorchopper

Posted March 16, 2005 - 11:27 AM

I had a sad day today as well as you, my gearbox shit the bed and 5th gear no work no more. :) damm yammys.

• kurtdb1

Posted March 16, 2005 - 11:50 AM

did you have any "free mods" done?...like throttle limit screw and gray wire mods done? just curious...maybe, with the heavier flywheel weight of the WR when compared to the YZ, that extra rotating mass cant handle the YZ revs....just a thought for all you free modders. Is the gray wire a rev limit connection?...maybe the damage was done some time ago but finally gave way on that particular ride...

• Cmott426

Posted March 16, 2005 - 11:56 AM

The thing that surprises me is that there is absolutely no oil visible in the pics. I would think such a catastrophic failure would have caused at least some amount of oil to escape the crankcase. The little bit of the interior looks to be bone dry. Are you sure you didn't have an oil pump failure? The ticking noise should have been a warning that something was up. Sorry for your loss. :)

That would be my guess.

• Tab812

Posted March 17, 2005 - 04:12 AM

Man that hard to take....

Good Luck :p :) :)

• jdd123

Posted March 17, 2005 - 08:24 AM

You haven't responded to the others about the lack of oil. Did you clean the case before you took the pictures?

• DRZBigB

Posted March 17, 2005 - 11:33 AM

Don't they have a 12 month FACTORY warranty?

It shouldn't have blown.....

• RichBaker

Posted March 17, 2005 - 12:57 PM

30 day factory warranty from Yamaha on all their race bikes. The WR is considered a race bike. Honda does NOT warranty their race bikes, XR is NOT considered a race bike.....

• 5valve

Posted March 17, 2005 - 02:09 PM

so how old is yours moach?

• Dan_from_HB

Posted March 17, 2005 - 02:59 PM

I don't know if I'd replace a WR with a KTM. Overall, it seems the WR has had about the best reliability record of all the new 4 strokes. Surprised all the tuners and magazine types, too.
Your current problem, agreed, is pretty serious. One of my buds found a whole brand-new 426 motor on ebay for about $2k after he rode the original hard and put her away wet for about 2 years. He ran it out of oil.
A KTM valve job alone is 1/2 that.

• 450_James

Posted March 17, 2005 - 10:53 PM

I'm feelin alot better about getting the 3yr extended warrenty right about now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • markit

Posted March 18, 2005 - 04:46 AM

I don't know if I'd replace a WR with a KTM. Overall, it seems the WR has had about the best reliability record of all the new 4 strokes. Surprised all the tuners and magazine types, too.
Your current problem, agreed, is pretty serious. One of my buds found a whole brand-new 426 motor on ebay for about $2k after he rode the original hard and put her away wet for about 2 years. He ran it out of oil.
A KTM valve job alone is 1/2 that.

As for as quality and expese the KTM and the Yams are very close with the KTM being the cheeper of the two. But after 2 years on the KTM 450exc im going to be racing the YZWR this year.

• RADRick

Posted March 18, 2005 - 11:19 AM

Moach, this might take be of interest to you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=35595

• BNutZ

Posted March 18, 2005 - 11:56 AM

Would performing the free mods, jetting the bike, new exhaust, etc void the warranty? i.e., if the engine blew, tranny gave out, etc..

I'm feelin alot better about getting the 3yr extended
warrenty right about now.

• moach1

Posted March 18, 2005 - 02:35 PM

ya i had all the free mods done. i only had 550 miles on it. oil spilled out like crazy. there was oil all over the place. i don't think the oil pump went out, but you never know. warranty is for only 30 days, and any mods i am sure will void any warranty, especially the grey wire. i am taking it in next week to get her fixed. thanks for all the input. i will keep you posted thanks

• fish525

Posted March 18, 2005 - 03:55 PM

wr 450, o5. i am going to rebuild it. keep it for a few years and get a ktm, a real bike. i use to bleed blue, till this happened. my wife almost killed me!!! i told her how much money its going to take. i am glad i am not making payments!!!

trust me keep riding the blue I switched over in 03 and now i am switching back the parts cost was killing me the name KTM means keeps taken money

• Dan_from_HB

Posted March 20, 2005 - 05:16 PM

ya i had all the free mods done. i only had 550 miles on it. oil spilled out like crazy. there was oil all over the place. i don't think the oil pump went out, but you never know. warranty is for only 30 days, and any mods i am sure will void any warranty, especially the grey wire. i am taking it in next week to get her fixed. thanks for all the input. i will keep you posted thanks

I'd check with Yamaha first. Free mods will not typically void warranty by themselves, they are simply bringing the WR closer to YZ specs. But, it will never be a YZ motor. Grey wire cut will not make it a YZ, nor will it allow it to rev too high. About the only way you can overrev is to land in too low a gear from a big, fast jump.

Ignitions are different, and even with a YZ ignition, it's still not the same as a YZ. At 550 miles, you almost have to be trying to blow it up to do this by over-revving or overloading.

Ever opened the motor? Changed the piston or ring? Changed the oil? Rode it hard or revved the crap out of it when dead cold? Ever get water in the pipe?

• moach1

Posted March 20, 2005 - 06:25 PM

changed oil at 350 miles. no water in pipe that i know of. i am starting to think maybe the oil pump went out like other tt suggested. i am taking her in this week, will keep posted.

• CHRIS_SARICH

Posted March 23, 2005 - 03:42 AM

had a very similar failure on my 03 when it was pretty new have a check my photos out http://www.angelfire.com/scary/wr450f

• moach1

Posted March 23, 2005 - 03:20 PM

wow! i hope yamaha helps me out with mine!

• moach1

Posted April 04, 2005 - 08:30 PM

yamaha is going to help out and pay most of the parts! leaves me with a few hundred dollars in parts and i pay labor. the oil pump was fine. yamaha said they have had a few other bikes which the same thing has happened, but claim it is a rare thing. somehow the piston got seated and the rest is history. i am sure they aren't telling me everything. i was totally surprised they are going to help out, i figured they would somehow try to claim rider error. thanks for all the input. thank you yamaha for stepping up and not trying to screw your customers!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.