http://i2.photobucke...ch1/engine2.jpg
http://i2.photobucke...ch1/engine3.jpg

• un450azul

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:22 PM

OOOUUUUCH :)

What were the curcumstances!

• Seabass

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:26 PM

How in the Wide World Of Sports did that happen?

• moach1

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:32 PM

guess i had it pinned too long. it was making a noise, like something was loose. so i did check the valves and the clearance was fine. went for a 120 mile with a bunch of buddies and mile 77 it happened. i have never seen anything like it. i wasn't even wide open when it happened. thank god we had a chase truck.

• trailriderjoe

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:39 PM

I'm gonna guess the rod broke, then pushed forward and up thru the counterbalance shaft. Thus pushing right up thru the seem in the case halves.

I wish you a speedy recover

• Dirtmizer

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:40 PM

Which model/year.

• 99wr400

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:40 PM

Looks like fun!

• DesertWR

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:42 PM

Hey moach,
Not to make fun of your unfortunate circumstances, but I know a guy who needs everything but the engine for his new WR :) :)

• moach1

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:46 PM

wr 450, o5. i am going to rebuild it. keep it for a few years and get a ktm, a real bike. i use to bleed blue, till this happened. my wife almost killed me!!! i told her how much money its going to take. i am glad i am not making payments!!!

• DesertWR

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:52 PM

wr 450, o5. i am going to rebuild it. keep it for a few years and get a ktm, a real bike. i use to bleed blue, till this happened. my wife almost killed me!!! i told her how much money its going to take. i am glad i am not making payments!!!

Now, Now, :) Don't overeact. I just spoke with a guy in our shop who toasted the motor in his 525. Think what it's going to cost him to repair!! Find out what went wrong-Is it an '05-How many miles?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vmxr

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:56 PM

Why does everything look dry and dusty in there? Was there sufficient oil in it?

• moach1

Posted March 15, 2005 - 05:07 PM

it has 553 miles. before any desert ride we do a basic checklist the night before and oil was fine, changed it at 350 miles. there has always been a noise coming from the head, but the valves where in tolerance. think i am just going to take it in and have a pro look at it. looks like too many rpms? should have seen all the crap leaking out. the bike threw up!!!

• RichBaker

Posted March 15, 2005 - 05:10 PM

Take it to a good dealer and cry on their shoulder....might get a warranty repair.

• dirtr1der

Posted March 15, 2005 - 06:30 PM

Damn...05??????

Bribe the dealer, offer up your wife in trade for a warranty repair. That will make her happy!!!! (just kidding of course.) :)

Hope you get it fixed soon and at as little expense as necessary.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:01 PM

Looks like a bad factory engine assembly. :) The rod must have broke at the wrist pin and punched front of the case. It does not take much to break these things at the rpms they generate! :p Sorry to see that a rebuild is in order. :)

• mountainriderWR400F

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:31 PM

May we all bow our heads in a moment of Silence :) pray for the speedy recovery and I feel your pain sorry to hear and see your problems good luck with your adventure in repairs hope it is as cheap as possible.

• RADRick

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:52 PM

The thing that surprises me is that there is absolutely no oil visible in the pics. I would think such a catastrophic failure would have caused at least some amount of oil to escape the crankcase. The little bit of the interior looks to be bone dry. Are you sure you didn't have an oil pump failure? The ticking noise should have been a warning that something was up. Sorry for your loss. :)

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted March 15, 2005 - 08:01 PM

Wow, that looks so expensive!

• ETP

Posted March 16, 2005 - 06:06 AM

Man that hurts to look at.
You might want to search this forum for Yamaha warranty support. A few of the guys here got Yamaha to fix some starter related problems back in 2003. Maybe they might have some tips.
Hope you get it fixed soon.

• Uncle Funker

Posted March 16, 2005 - 07:29 AM

..The ticking noise should have been a warning that something was up...

Normally I'd agree, but on all the 426's and 450's I've ridden (including my own '04 WR450) there's so much mechanical noise it'd be damned hard to determine which ticking noises are legit vs. which ones are timebombs. This is my first 4 stroke and compared to a 2 stroke I was amazed at how much mechanical racket comes out of these engines. And after adding a full sized skidplate to the bottom the noise seems even more magnified / echoed back up towards the rider. Sounds like a friggin' rock tumbler on nitrous under me sometimes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.