Are WR and YZ rear hubs the same?

9 replies to this topic
  • mx426

Posted March 15, 2005 - 12:47 PM

What about the different years, I have an 18" rear wheel that I want to put on my YZ and need to buy a hub for it.

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 15, 2005 - 01:09 PM

According to the Yamaha Parts Numbers they are the same
5ET-25311-00-00 wr 426
5ET-25311-00-00 yz 426

This is a 2002 wr and YZ

You can do you references here
http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/

• AHRMA17L

Posted March 15, 2005 - 01:32 PM

Depends on the year, but all 1999 and newer Yamaha ans WR rear hubs are the same and will interchange.

Beware, however, the brake rotors are not the same.

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:37 PM

Okay here is the skinny skippy.

Front:

96-present are the same bearings and all can use the same brake rotors. The 96-00 is nonfloating, the 01-05 is a floating front rotor. They are interchangeable, bolt on at will.

Now the WR front hub will have the ears for the odometer drive. YZ will not. If you use a YZ wheel on the WR front end, get the YZ spacers. Also 02 is a wider hub than previous years. Get the spacers for the year of the hub!!!

REAR

98 was the last year of the old hub design. Not interchangeable with the 99-05 bikes.

99-05 are all the same design of hub -- same bearings, sprocket and rotor. The 99-01 use a 240mm rotor, 02-05 use a 245mm rear rotor. They are interchangeable, bolt on and go.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 15, 2005 - 10:48 PM

Okay here is the skinny skippy.

Front:

96-present are the same bearings and all can use the same brake rotors. The 96-00 is nonfloating, the 01-05 is a floating front rotor. They are interchangeable, bolt on at will.

Now the WR front hub will have the ears for the odometer drive. YZ will not. If you use a YZ wheel on the WR front end, get the YZ spacers. Also 02 is a wider hub than previous years. Get the spacers for the year of the hub!!!

REAR

98 was the last year of the old hub design. Not interchangeable with the 99-05 bikes.

99-05 are all the same design of hub -- same bearings, sprocket and rotor. The 99-01 use a 240mm rotor, 02-05 use a 245mm rear rotor. They are interchangeable, bolt on and go.

Aren't the 01 and up front/rear hubs wider than the 00 and previous? I bought some anodized wheel spacers for my 00 that came off an 02 and they were too narrow on both ends.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mx426

Posted March 16, 2005 - 07:20 AM

Aren't the 01 and up front/rear hubs wider than the 00 and previous? I bought some anodized wheel spacers for my 00 that came off an 02 and they were too narrow on both ends.

This is what I am needing to know, I am puting a new rim and hub together. I take it as long as I get the spacers for whatever year hub I get it will be fine? Is it true that some are wider than others?

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 16, 2005 - 07:53 AM

02 is the first year of the wider hub up front. They use thinner spokes also. They went wider to give more stability to the front rim.

Check the Yamaha Technical Update Seminar books for this kind of info.

• Drusplanet

Posted March 18, 2005 - 01:45 PM

Matt...you seem to know your stuff :) . I'm still dealing with figuring out a real wheel for my '98 YZ. Is it the swingarm that prevents me from going with a '99 or newer rear wheel setup? I hate the fact that I'm so limited to options and it's also very confusing when buying parts (spoke sets for my Talon Hub, new rim, etc.) There's a backstory here if you want to PM me for the gory details.

My Yamy shop here can't figure out what will work and I'm going on my second week of no rear wheel :) . I just want to ride!!!

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 18, 2005 - 09:41 PM

98 is the last year of the old hub style.

Check the part number, but if the swingarm pivot bolt is the same size, you could use the entire rear suspension off a 99-01 bike there. Entire means everything! brake caliper, wheel, axle, linkage, shock. Check the part numbers between years there on the litespeed dealer system.

But personally you are better off purchasing a new OEM wheel hub and lacing it up.

• rail45

Posted March 18, 2005 - 09:47 PM

The Difference between 98 and 99 is axle diameter. It's easy enough to hog out the slots in your swingarm for a bigger axle, but you'll need caliper hanger, spacers, adj blocks... the whole works.
-Stephen

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.