Need used baffle for XR650L

10 replies to this topic
  • gimgim

Posted March 15, 2005 - 11:46 AM

I can't find one on Ebay and I missed a few auctions on the whole exhaust (big waste anyway). Please contact me if you have one (stock or not, it doesn't really matter...).

In a previous post there was a suggestion on how to make the uncorked exhaust a bit less noisy (alluminum tube glued inside) but I can't find it, if it is not too much trouble, please repost the length of the tube and how much it should extend past the end of the exhaust.

THANKS!!!

• fastmonstr

Posted March 15, 2005 - 01:13 PM

I think I have one. I'll check this evening and let you know.

• gimgim

Posted March 16, 2005 - 07:07 AM

THANKS!!!!
Please let me know
(gim at ieee.org or
gmotta at bitfone.com)

• gimgim

Posted March 24, 2005 - 04:41 PM

Still looking for one :)

• hotwheels

Posted March 24, 2005 - 07:00 PM

Hi, hotwheels to the rescue ! You need to go to a scrap metal yard and find tubing with an O.D. of 1.625" (42.5mm), I used what I think is aluminium handrail tubing (1/8" wall). Just take your calipers and go search. My first(and only) attempt was with a 2" piece of tubing. Use silicone seal to glue the tubing into the muffler, be sure to apply the silicone to both the tubing and the inside of the muffler. Insert the tubing into the muffler so that the end of the tubing protrudes about 1/4" beyond the very end of the muffler so the "sound" does not see the last cone of the muffler. This will mellow the sound quite a bit. Good luck, I will stop back and see how you made out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gimgim

Posted March 24, 2005 - 10:46 PM

Hotwheels, you are the man! :)
I've used a steel piece of metal that I've hammered into a pipe.
I did not soldered the edges and they overlap a bit. I gave it a conical shape so that it fits snug. Then I have siliconed it in place.
You can see the pictures at
www.cs.brandeis.edu/~gim/Shared/Baffle

Too bad the metal was black on the outside and cream on the inside (it was an electronic project box).

• gimgim

Posted March 25, 2005 - 01:29 PM

I took the bike for a spin today. I added a bottle of carb cleaner (bike has been stored and it was sputtering).
1) the annoying "flapping" noise is totally gone (THANKS!!!) and
2) the inside of the homemade baffle is not whitish anymore
I a week or two I'll take apart the carb and check whether it is uncorked or not.
I'll bother you again for advice :)

• hotwheels

Posted March 25, 2005 - 03:27 PM

Whao ! Captain crude ! Now that you know it works, try to find a piece of pipe and make it look nice. That hurts to look at ! The only other thing I might try for more sound reduction is a piece of pipe long enough to "bottom inside the muffler and stick out the same amount, might take off a few more db. What are all those wires in the background ? My father (s.k. w2cha) had a similar collection and he was a amature radio operator and electronics tinkerer. Is that one of your other passions ? Good luck with the muffler.

• Uconnputz

Posted March 25, 2005 - 08:25 PM

So the tubing you guys used is only 2 " long with 1/4" sticking out? I like that I will try it. Or should i just leave my stock baffle in?

• gimgim

Posted March 25, 2005 - 08:41 PM

> Whao ! Captain crude !

:D Hey, I was in a rush... It was 1am and that's what I've found in my garage.
Now that even the inside is black, you can barely see it. In any case I will replace it as soon as I find a tube (which may take a couple of months :) ).

> The only other thing I might try for more sound reduction is
> a piece of pipe long enough to "bottom inside the muffler
> and stick out the same amount, might take off a few more db.

The "tube" I've used is actually 6 inch... Too lazy to cut it shorter :)

> My father (s.k. w2cha) had a similar collection and he
> was a amature radio operator and electronics tinkerer.
> Is that one of your other passions ?

Correct :p
I am a researcher in computer science/engineering and I have accumulated tons of electronic junk over the years. So much that the garage is full and I keep the car outside. Who likes cars anyway :D
I've added a few pictures of the bike in the same dir, you can get an idea of the quantity of books and electronics (I have 40 plastic crates full).

> Or should i just leave my stock baffle in?

Noooo, try this. And then sell me your baffle :o

Thanks again hotwheels...

• Jeff650

Posted March 29, 2005 - 08:44 PM

I too am looking for a baffle if there are any others out there available

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.