New Tank Won't Fit

14 replies to this topic
  • davidgalyon

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:09 AM

Someone please clue me in. I just got my new Clarke 4.3 Tank but I cannot get it on because my California model (xr650R) smog equipment is in the way. Anyone gone down this road please let me know. Is there a kit to be purchased or can I simply remove this EPA crap. :)

• frankstr

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:13 AM

Remove the smog crap.... :)

• TimBrp

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:15 AM

Ditto to what frank said. It won't fit otherwise.

• davidgalyon

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:20 AM

Word, but do I need to get a block off kit or can I simply rip it off there?

• TimBrp

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:22 AM

Block off kit...Xr's Only

• davidgalyon

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:44 AM

That's what I thought. Anyone installed one of these yet? I have searched the internet and it seems this is a very difficult installation sometimes. :)

• Desmo

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:50 AM

I think I used an IMS kit.

Ez to install, no worries. Ihad to remove the header.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Evilfirbolg

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:51 AM

• davidgalyon

Posted March 15, 2005 - 08:08 AM

Thanks Evil, but those pics are way to outdated for my machine. They may help for reference, but specifically, that bike is much different than mine and I am going to keep searching for a newer version.

• Evilfirbolg

Posted March 15, 2005 - 08:35 AM

Ooops, I just realized yer on an R, sorry bout that, those be L pics. Hope they may help a bit though.

• qadsan

Posted March 15, 2005 - 08:43 AM

You must remove the smog stuff to make the Clarke fit on CA bikes. The ThumperTalk store sells the smog block off kit at this link and you'll be supporting TT with a purchase through them. Also, TT has a 110% low price guarantee, so if you find a lower price, TT will take care of you :)

• davidgalyon

Posted March 15, 2005 - 10:53 AM

Very nice, thanks gads!!!

• Troy_Bell

Posted March 15, 2005 - 12:22 PM

The smog block-off can be installed without removing anything, however it is tight. Small hands would be a benefit. A friend of mine could not fit his hand into that tight of a spot, so he just plugged off the ports (didn't want to remove anything). Also, keep an eye on your radiator hose clamps during installation of the tank. I had to loosen and rotate one to clear the tank.

• qadsan

Posted March 15, 2005 - 12:58 PM

Those allen bolts for the smog stuff on CA bikes can be a pain to get off if they're really tight and sometimes they are. I use a high quality allen bit like the kind that fits into the end of a screwdriver in those allen bolts. A 1/4" socket fits perfect over the bit and then I can use a rachet to get some leverage on it. This makes for a low enough profile setup that just barely clears the frame. A cheapo allen wrench may round off and or damage / cam out the allen head, so make sure you use a good tool to remove them if they're super tight.

• davidgalyon

Posted March 15, 2005 - 01:13 PM

thanks for the input. I am going to swing into the local dealer tomorrow and grab the kit. I will put all of your good information to work on Friday morning (day off). Will be back here if I have issues.
Thanks again.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.