motoman393's pipe fix

3 replies to this topic
  • tnl

Posted March 14, 2005 - 08:10 PM

I'm looking for some good input on motoman393's technique for fixing dented head pipes. His idea and procedure sounds like it would work but I'm a little skeptical about it being safe. I've read some of the related threads and wanted some more feedback especially from those who have tried it with a titanium pipe. Here's the link to this subject: http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/
Thanks!

• adrian

Posted March 14, 2005 - 10:02 PM

I havent done it to a Ti pipe but have done 100s of 2 stroke pipe repairs this methode and it works flawlessly BUT you have to keep an eye on the pressure and clamping methode and the biggest thing to keep an eye on heating the dented area, dont heat the area in one spot for more than 5 seconds at a time or youll blow a hole in it, heat the outter part of the dent in a circular fashion so in otherwodrs follow the cirumfrence of the dent, if you have a small ounce hammer tap very lightly on the dent as it blows out,if not the dent will over compensate its coming out so you are basicly forcing the dent to stay flush with the rest of the pipe. Just go at it all very slowly, you wont need anymore than around 40-50psi of pressure and use a soft blue flame from an oxy/cetaline torche and youll be just fine....Just take it easy and learn
GOOD LUCK

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crayztwentyseven

Posted March 14, 2005 - 10:26 PM

I did it to my ti pipe exactly how adrian described and it worked great :) . Just take time, and if it starts to expand too far have someone else there to watch, and unplug the air quickly.

• slappie

Posted March 15, 2005 - 09:29 AM

I used the exact procedure on my ti 450F headpipe as well. It worked awesome. The only difference is that I found that a propane torch produces enough heat for the ti. You don't need ox/acet.

Some have said that the 80psi he recommends is too high and that it is dangerous. I did it with 80 and it was fine but try it at your own risk.

Others have said 30psi is enough.

Good luck, be safe and admire your handywork!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.