just ordered the auto-clutch

43 replies to this topic
  • SMOKE

Posted March 14, 2005 - 07:17 PM

got the revloc.com one...hope it helps me out a bunch...smoked my clutch sunday at the last mran race...god damn retarded people dont know how to climb hills... :)

• beer_studd_76

Posted March 14, 2005 - 08:10 PM

once adjusted properly, you'll love it.

• Shakeyhands

Posted March 21, 2005 - 05:42 PM

You know... is it just me or do these things seem a waste? Isn't some of the control gone here? Come.. edumacate me please!!!

• SMOKE

Posted March 21, 2005 - 06:31 PM

well no you GAIN control it is like having a pro on the clutch and all you have to do is twist, and turn well worth the $1000 bucks imo. instead of having to "feather" the clutch when you get off the bike to get up some hills you just twist..that easy... my 2 cents

mike

• Chas_M

Posted March 21, 2005 - 07:09 PM

You will love the RevLoc clutch. Once you get it set up properly, you won't have to worry about any maintenance issues until the clutch plates are worn out. Incidentally, in my KTM 525 EXC, using only 3 out of the 6 springs gives me a real nice, smooth, progressive, just above idle speed engagement point.

• TimBrp

Posted March 22, 2005 - 04:10 AM

Post a review when you've ridden it a bit. I'd be curious to see how you like it. I'm sure it helps in some areas but I think I'd be begging to feather my clutch here and there.

• hurricane jonny

Posted March 22, 2005 - 04:44 AM

If you want an automatic, buy a Buick.

• thumpasaurus

Posted March 22, 2005 - 05:49 AM

got the revloc.com one...hope it helps me out a bunch...smoked my clutch sunday at the last mran race...god damn retarded people dont know how to climb hills... :)

You know I've been thinking and reading about these clutches a good bit lately. Can you tell me why you spent the $ for the revloc over the recluse model?

I ride my 650R as a dual sport and like to run 15/46 so I can cruise highway speeds easily. But whenever I go trail riding and don't change sprockets I do a LOT of clutch fanning, gives me popeye forearm in short time. From reading, sounds like an auto-clutch might be the ticket - let me keep my tall gearing and still be able to chase my brother through the woods on his XR4, and no more stalling out halfway up those steep rocky hills :) For money reasons I lean heavily towards the rekluse though..

• Roll_it_on

Posted March 22, 2005 - 06:45 AM

I road a buddies 650R with the auto clutch and it sure felt strange to get used to it. It felt like I was riding an old minibike with a beast of an engine. Something not right about not having to use the clutch :) He is an A rider and hauls on the thing so it certainly doesn't slow him up any. I like certain things about the concept but what bothered me the most was the little bit of off idle lag I could feel until it engaged. It made for a delay for doing pop up low end wheelies like when you want to loft the front tire over an obsticle on the trail etc.. The lack of instant positive engagement feft funny. Once it engaged it feft like a typical BRP. He probably never was bothered by it since he is always on the gas pretty hard.

• beer_studd_76

Posted March 22, 2005 - 07:07 AM

If you want an automatic, buy a Buick.

you realize you still have to shift?

also, if you don't want an auto clutch, don't buy one.

you need to lay off the hatorade, hater.

jeremiah

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted March 22, 2005 - 07:14 AM

...but what bothered me the most was the little bit of off idle lag I could feel until it engaged...

With the Rekluse z-Start autoclutch, stall speed is 'user' adjustable, but I can't tell you for sure if it's adjustable or not with the Revloc or EFM. You can set it up to engage quickly which works better for trail use or set it up so the engine revs a bit higher before she takes off which may offer better holeshots, but you can set it up any way you want. In addition, you can still retain full use of your clutch lever with the exception of having a lighter pull from you clutch lever which is a good thing.

• thumpasaurus

Posted March 22, 2005 - 08:07 AM

With the Rekluse z-Start autoclutch, stall speed is 'user' adjustable...

Qadsan, where did you buy yours?

• qadsan

Posted March 22, 2005 - 08:31 AM

Qadsan, where did you buy yours?

I bought mine directly through Rekluse when they first came out a few years back. I'm still running the gen 2 model and they've since upgraded to a gen 3 that's easier to install, has fewer parts, etc. I like it, but it's a compromise like most anything else. You loose the ability to bump start your bike which was pretty important to me, but I liked what else it offered and didn't want to give it up. It came with a 30 day money back guarantee, which I didn't use and I ended up buying a couple more for other bikes.

• hurricane jonny

Posted March 22, 2005 - 12:49 PM

Yeah I know you still have to shift. But I can't see spending $1000 on an auto clutch. That would buy a lot of motor or suspesion, which in my case would be more rewarding. I ride on the back wheel 60% of the time. I need the clutch to bring the front end up in 4th and 5th. With an auto clutch that's not even an option, or is it?

• qadsan

Posted March 22, 2005 - 01:13 PM

Yeah I know you still have to shift. But I can't see spending $1000 on an auto clutch. That would buy a lot of motor or suspesion, which in my case would be more rewarding. I ride on the back wheel 60% of the time. I need the clutch to bring the front end up in 4th and 5th. With an auto clutch that's not even an option, or is it?

I still have full use of my clutch lever and it's easier to pull than stock. I spent less than $400 for mine and it came with a 30 day money back guarantee.

• SMOKE

Posted March 22, 2005 - 07:25 PM

yea you can still pop the front end up like normal, after this race i will throw it in because i dont want to get used to a new bike while racing it, i got some time off between races, i will do it then. i got the revloc because one of the guys i ride with swears by them plus he is gonna install it and set it up for me too, he is a wizard when it comes to the autoclutch he helped them prefect it, he has very limited amout of use with his left arm all he can do is hold onto the bars.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 22, 2005 - 10:54 PM

well no you GAIN control it is like having a pro on the clutch and all you have to do is twist, and turn well worth the $1000 bucks imo. instead of having to "feather" the clutch when you get off the bike to get up some hills you just twist..that easy... my 2 cents

mike

Well I use the Rekluse EZ-start auto clutch. And you are exactly correct. One rider who was behind me couldn't believe where I could stop on a difficult hill and just start out with no wheel spin. He was telling me I had tremendous throttle control and I let him go on for sec before I told him I had an auto clutch. You better believe he was sold cause he was struggling and stopping was not a option for him. :)

Oh yeah, I still retain full use of my clutch lever should I want to override the autoclutch. It is rare but on occasion I use the clutch lever to increase the rpm and thus increase the clutch lock up. I usually do that so I can keep it in a higher gear with out slipping. I don't have to worry about not being able to bump start anymore. I installed Baja Designs electric start and have had it for quite a while now. It is great. Kill it in a tough spot (rare with an auto clutch) just push the E-button and your off.

• beer_studd_76

Posted March 23, 2005 - 12:13 AM

Yeah I know you still have to shift. But I can't see spending $1000 on an auto clutch.

so don't. the EMF is about $500, and the Z-start is about $400. i think even rev-loc is lowering prices due to market pressure.

That would buy a lot of motor or suspesion, which in my case would be more rewarding.

being a personal opinion, i can't argue with that

I ride on the back wheel 60% of the time. I need the clutch to bring the front end up in 4th and 5th. With an auto clutch that's not even an option, or is it?

it is.

• hurricane jonny

Posted March 23, 2005 - 04:43 AM

I can see where it would be useful in tricky terrain where stalling would happen a lot. $400-$500 sounds a lot more reasonable. Are they adjustable as far as engagement?

• TimBrp

Posted March 23, 2005 - 06:18 AM

Yes it can be adjusted. I think Qadsan laid it out earlier in the post, not sure. However, do a search by his name and auto clutch and there's a great post he did on the whole setup. It's either that or the edelbrock coming up shortly. I want the carb first and foremost..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.