Need Help with Chain Slack

12 replies to this topic
  • Shorte01

Posted March 14, 2005 - 06:20 PM

So I just swapped out sprockets and the new one is a little larger. The problem comes when I try and adjust the rear axle placement to get the right amount of tension in the chain. I can get it just where I want it when I'm not sitting on the bike, but the second I put a load on it the chain tightens up really good. So I go ahead and move the axle forward to a position where the chain has the right amount of slack when I'm on the bike. Then whenever the bike is unweighted there is a gross amount of slop in the chain. So the question is how can I find a happy medium so that the chain isn't extremely tight when I'm on it and isn't really sloppy when its unweighted?

• WRookie

Posted March 14, 2005 - 06:32 PM

Uhhh, split the difference? Chain tension is checked with no one on the bike.

• 02YZ426

Posted March 14, 2005 - 06:38 PM

If I can fit 3 fingers under the chain at the end of the slider, then i'm happy. That is usually the happy medium for me anyways. Then I put a screwdriver on the rear sprocket and turn the tire untill the chain tightens up a bit, then I tighten the axle nut. I find if I do this, the chain wont tighten up on me when I tighten the axle nut. I doubt this is the professional way of doing it, but its always been the perfect formula for me.

• mayday

Posted March 14, 2005 - 08:07 PM

The manual states 1.4-2 " inchs at the end of the swing arm chain slider,with weight off wheels. Adjust it there and leave it yhou should be fine

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2005 - 08:40 PM

Weight off the wheels is the important part. As in on a stand. The lower roller will pick up the chain under that condition. Set it per the manual, it works.

• yamaboy23

Posted March 15, 2005 - 06:06 AM

The best and most accurate way to adjust a chain is not by the manual
You need to have bike on the stand
Remove lower shock bolt
Raise the rear wheel up to where the countershaft,swingarm bolt , and rear axle are all lined up
At this point in the travel will be where the chain will be the tightest
adjust your chain here with @ half an inch slack
reassemble and your set

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeremiah

Posted March 15, 2005 - 06:14 AM

Yamaboy's method makes logical sense, as the ultimate goal is to ensure you have just enough slack at the tightest point, however, it seems like too much work.

I follow my manual and allow 1.6" - 2.0" of slack measured from the top of the rear slider bolt to the bottom of the chain when the bike is on a stand (no weight on the rear tire). This is for my 2000 YZ26F. This is essentially the same as "mayday" except he listed 1.4" as the lower spec limit.

This is Yamaha's setting...and therefore is trustworthy. You don't need to go through the extra work Yamaboy described. It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes of work.

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 15, 2005 - 06:34 AM

Follow the manual, you cannot go wrong. Remember rotate the wheel and set the slack when the chain is at the tightest point (the slack will chagne as the wheel rotates).

• mayday

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:27 AM

jeremiah is right I went back to check in both my 02 426 & 04 450 both manual states 1.6-2.0
1. elevate rear wheel by placing the suitable stand under the engine
2. check: chain slack
above the seal guard installation bolt
out of spec's-> adjust
note: before checking and/or adjusting, rotate rear wheel through several revolutions and check slack several times to find the tightest point. check and or adjust chain slack with rear wheel in this "tight chain" position. :)

• ncmountainman

Posted March 15, 2005 - 08:08 AM

whatever way you do it,make sure the sprockets line up. the adjustment marks are just there for show because they don't line up!! i take a 1' ruler and use it as a straightedge down the chain off the rear sprocket,and eyeball it(make sure the chains pushed to the sprocket so its even). mine's off about a 1/4" by the marks! :)

• 97zjguy

Posted March 15, 2005 - 06:43 PM

put the bike on a stand. the rear tire should be off the ground. i set it so i can fit my index and middle fingers on end in between the end of the chain slider and the chain. i don't know if spring sag or rider weight comes into play, because my bike does'nt sag very much, and i only weigh 160 lbs. but i believe this should'nt make a difference, as setting it this way is taking into account the full range of motion of the swingarm. ??

• WRookie

Posted March 16, 2005 - 12:56 PM

whatever way you do it,make sure the sprockets line up. the adjustment marks are just there for show because they don't line up!! i take a 1' ruler and use it as a straightedge down the chain off the rear sprocket,and eyeball it(make sure the chains pushed to the sprocket so its even). mine's off about a 1/4" by the marks! :)

The easiest way I've come up with is to measure from the axle center to the same point on each foot peg. It's a straight shot on each side.

• ncmountainman

Posted March 16, 2005 - 03:22 PM

my footpegs take such a regular beating it wouldn't be a consistant measurement for me! :) the ruler trick is very simple :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.