Steering head bearing help

11 replies to this topic
  • rockieman

Posted March 14, 2005 - 04:59 PM

I bought new steering head bearings for 99 400. I had my local shop press the new bearing on the lower clamp. I took my longest screwdriver and busted the handle off to use to drive the old race out. This proved to be a difficult proposition.....any tricks to getting these out? Will heat on the outside of the frame help? The race on both the top and the bottom are pitted a little but not damaged to bad.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
:)

• simon@vic

Posted March 14, 2005 - 05:53 PM

use a proper hardened punch.
it will only cost about $5-$10 and will last for ever.
no heat needed, it will burn your paint!!!!!

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted March 14, 2005 - 08:22 PM

I bought new steering head bearings for 99 400. I had my local shop press the new bearing on the lower clamp. I took my longest screwdriver and busted the handle off to use to drive the old race out. This proved to be a difficult proposition.....any tricks to getting these out? Will heat on the outside of the frame help? The race on both the top and the bottom are pitted a little but not damaged to bad.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
:)

Rockyman, do you have an arc welder, either stick, MIG or TIG :) Or access to one? Try this, guaranteed to work. Run a bead on the race, right on the surface where the rollers of balls used to ride. After it cools, you can almost reach in there and pullit out with your fingers. Weld up about 1/2 of the race. This will keep heat low so you dont melt the pretty blue paint. An old timer showed me this, used it for years and has never failed me!

• BEAN329

Posted March 14, 2005 - 08:31 PM

get a proper punch. punch bottom out from top and top out from bottom. I would never heat up a steering head with a torch.

• jmics19067

Posted March 15, 2005 - 05:56 AM

:) yes on get a proper punch :) take your time and work the bearing out, tap the race move the punch 180 degrees around the race, tap , etc etc etc don't let the bearing race get cocked sideways.

don't smash the punch with the hammer either most likely will break the tip and lose your square edge of the punch

"Try this, guaranteed to work. Run a bead on the race, right on the surface where the rollers of balls used to ride."
shrinking an inner race with heat does work wonders :p

• rockieman

Posted March 15, 2005 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for all the advice.....I think I'll make the investment in a punch first....if that doesn't work I know a welder that charges a reasonable rate.
Thanks again for the help!
Rockieman

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tom_dappert

Posted March 20, 2005 - 06:18 AM

Can't tell you how happy I was that the factory manual called for a big efing hammer and a big efing punch to remove the races. At last....tools I own. :)

• rockieman

Posted March 20, 2005 - 08:31 AM

I went down to my local hw store and bought a foot long punch........I don't think it took me five minutes to get each race out. Something to be said about having the right tool. :)

• WRookie

Posted March 20, 2005 - 10:55 AM

A piece of all thread, some large washers and a couple nuts make a nice tool for installing your new races. You can use the old races to counter sink the fresh ones.

• captain_S

Posted March 21, 2005 - 12:56 PM

Yep i will vouch for the bead of weld trick,it is a good tip for hard to get at bearing races.also i would advise any one welding on any machine,that you allways place your earth clamp so the current has a direct path to the point at where the arc will be!,never let the current run through moving parts,such as bearings,suspension linkage etc. :)

• aussieklx

Posted December 16, 2008 - 01:11 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread guys, but im also doing the head stem bearings on my 05, ive got everything apart, but i cant get the bottom roller off, obviuosly its pressed on, any tips, heat?? Oh and i think ive mauled the little seal at the bottom can this be purchased seperatly, im not planning on getting gen yamaha bearings too many $$$$$

• Wiz636

Posted December 17, 2008 - 02:31 PM

Sorry to dig up an old thread guys, but im also doing the head stem bearings on my 05, ive got everything apart, but i cant get the bottom roller off, obviuosly its pressed on, any tips, heat?? Oh and i think ive mauled the little seal at the bottom can this be purchased seperatly, im not planning on getting gen yamaha bearings too many $$$$$

They are pressed on so your best bet is to take it to a machine shop and have them press the stem out of the bottom clamp, remove the bearing and press everything back together.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.