WR400 Coolant leak

9 replies to this topic
  • SmallMonkey

Posted March 14, 2005 - 02:11 PM

Hey all, I just noticed a small Coolant leak on my 400. It seems to be coming from the water pump.

I have not hit anything or taken the cover off - Nothing that might tear the gasket. The leak looks like it's coming from a small weep hole (a hole on the underside of the water pump cover), but I don't think that my bike has a weep hole.

Any ideas? Thanks!!!! :)

• wakin

Posted March 14, 2005 - 02:59 PM

Common problem - do a search & you will see the fix.

• mountainriderWR400F

Posted March 14, 2005 - 07:32 PM

Time for a new impeller shaft and oil seal and water seal pretty easy to do.

Do you have a service manual if not GET ONE! they are about 30.-40 and are worth the money .In time you will if mechanically inclined be able to do a lot of the work on such an easy motors to work on. :) and if that does not work than you can always ask a question on TT and of course get an answer :)

• HighPlainsWR

Posted March 14, 2005 - 08:00 PM

Moutainrider is right. If it's leaking out of the small hole under the pump, it's time. Yamaha put that leak spot there just for that warning. My 98WR never did that, nor the 02WR, just the 03WR - after two years. :)

I run Blue Ice in the coolant with some Redline water wetter. Thought that issue was history. Not. Must be lack of true specification at the factory. :)

• Gadsen

Posted March 14, 2005 - 08:13 PM

OK, I see everyone recommending a new shaft plus seal whenever the water pump leaks. I developed a leak on my 04 WR with 90 miles on it. I just replaced the seal itself and the leak is fixed. I supposed I'd check the shaft for a groove, if there is one, either install the seal a little deeper or maybe even shallow so the lip rides in another area. Then replace the shaft when its all grooved beyone repair.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HighPlainsWR

Posted March 14, 2005 - 08:22 PM

MDT, you got any theories on why this happens? Seems something like a shaft and seal should last at least as long as other major engine parts. Could it be the quality of the coolant? If so, what would you recommend, stock or aftermarket?

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:16 AM

MDT, you got any theories on why this happens? Seems something like a shaft and seal should last at least as long as other major engine parts. Could it be the quality of the coolant? If so, what would you recommend, stock or aftermarket?

No need for theories! The water pump seal has no lubrication and runs dry on the shaft except for coolant that may get in there. That is why the shaft wears and the seal wears out quickly. Once a year replacement on the WR450's. :)

• SmallMonkey

Posted March 15, 2005 - 11:32 AM

so looking at the Parts Fiche, on yamaha-motor.com...
I need #1, #4, #5 and #8?

I'd like to get this all done in one swoop... Thanks all!!!!!

• Frostbite

Posted March 15, 2005 - 06:37 PM

No need for theories! The water pump seal has no lubrication and runs dry on the shaft except for coolant that may get in there. That is why the shaft wears and the seal wears out quickly. Once a year replacement on the WR450's. :)

Another theory is that dirt can enter through the weep hole and cause premature wear. One TT'er suggested putting a dab of grease into the weep hole that would help keep dirt out, but a bit of pressure from an oil or coolant leak would displace it and let it do it's intended job.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 15, 2005 - 06:54 PM

Actually a plasma teflon coated shaft would do better! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.