DOt tires good for off road?

34 replies to this topic
  • Shakeyhands

Posted March 21, 2005 - 05:39 PM

another vote for the Pirelli's here, MT's great in the dirt and great on the road.

• Miker

Posted March 21, 2005 - 10:22 PM

MT21s :) :)

• Max Power

Posted March 22, 2005 - 08:01 AM

DOT tires are needed to license the bike but I ride 98% offroad. Are there any DOT tires that are just as good as dirt tires for off road riding?
Anybody try the Pirelli MT21's?

Thanks in advance

Redmanrandyed

MT 21's are Ok but the Kenda Trackmaster is much better. It is a very good all round dirt tire for the ridding we do up here and the fact that they are DOT approved is a bonus.

Posted Image

• Shakeyhands

Posted March 22, 2005 - 12:55 PM

MT 21's are Ok but the Kenda Trackmaster is much better. It is a very good all round dirt tire for the ridding we do up here and the fact that they are DOT approved is a bonus.

Posted Image

the Kenda's are cheaper but they wear WAAAAAY faster than the MT's, I also feel IMO that they are more dangerous on wet pavement than the MT's because of the harder compound.

I would think in Lotusland that might be a problem Max!!! :)

• SaltyWalrus

Posted March 22, 2005 - 01:13 PM

I am pleasantly surprized with the wear of the Kenda's. If you put on mostly road miles, then get the MT21s. If you just ride road to get to dirt, give the Kendas a try. I do run them with a pound or two more air as the sidewalls are average in stiffness. Haven't had any flat problems though, using Bridgestone HD tubes.

• Max Power

Posted March 22, 2005 - 06:16 PM

the Kenda's are cheaper but they wear WAAAAAY faster than the MT's, I also feel IMO that they are more dangerous on wet pavement than the MT's because of the harder compound.

I would think in Lotusland that might be a problem Max!!! :)

Ahhhh. My mistake. I thought we were looking for a DOT dirt tire. For sure the MT 21's are more sure footed on pavement both dry and wet.
No argument there.

• EvMon

Posted March 25, 2005 - 08:36 AM

I realize this is a few days after the fact, but I didn't see anyone mention Dunlop 606s. They handle great off-road, are not horrible on-road. I've ridden them on wet pavement in the rain and they seem very predictable. So far the durability seems pretty good also.

Cheers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mangler

Posted March 26, 2005 - 05:43 PM

I must say, just got my MT21's on 2 weeks ago, this was the first chance I got to ride with them in the mud/dirt. This friday and saturday it was as muddy as i've ever seen. and the MT21's did fantastic.

I could climb hills that were muddy as hell that some 2 strokes couldn't. Im sure it has alot to do with the 650L's weight but still they rock.

They grab very well in all sorts of conditions and ride excellent on the road. I am very happy with my decision to buy them! :)

• Max Power

Posted March 26, 2005 - 06:06 PM

I must say, just got my MT21's on 2 weeks ago, this was the first chance I got to ride with them in the mud/dirt. This friday and saturday it was as muddy as i've ever seen. and the MT21's did fantastic.

I could climb hills that were muddy as hell that some 2 strokes couldn't. Im sure it has alot to do with the 650L's weight but still they rock.

They grab very well in all sorts of conditions and ride excellent on the road. I am very happy with my decision to buy them! :)

The pig has burned up it's fair share of MT 21's in its time. No match for the Kenda Trackmasters IMHO when it comes to the dirt and mud performance. I still find it hard to believe they have the DOT stamp on them. But it works for me.

Posted Image

• cajun

Posted March 27, 2005 - 06:14 AM

I just got the Terraflex Type II 150/90-18, man what a monster.
This beast is excelant off road in anything but really hard dirt. It's not the best on the road but it is better than the stock Dunlop the bike came with, and it is DOT.

• bork

Posted March 27, 2005 - 08:12 PM

what is the size you have on the trakmaster? I like wide . I even had to shim out muffler for clearence with the mich desert dot .

• XR600ONE

Posted March 27, 2005 - 08:23 PM

My Homie Rides The Michelin Desert On His '04 Wr450 Yamaha. The Rear Is A 140 Monster. I Am Very Impressed With It.

• bork

Posted March 28, 2005 - 09:02 PM

Mine is pretty worn in center. Thought I'd start lining up for a new knob . Treckmaster and terraflex sound tempting for the price.Rockeymountain is out . Any other deals elsewere ?

• LotsOfBikes

Posted March 28, 2005 - 11:50 PM

My answer to the root question: NO! I haven't run DOT tires on any of mydual-sports in at least 5 years.

• Wheels up

Posted April 22, 2006 - 09:03 AM

I haven't either. ONLY NON-DOT for me :thumbsup:

I just bought a set new of Bridgestone ED-77 front and ED-78 (120/100)rear tires.

Haven't tried them yet but they look great. The rubber feels really hard and looks like it will take alot of abuse. Cant wait to try them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.