DOt tires good for off road?

34 replies to this topic
  • redmanrandyed

Posted March 14, 2005 - 10:59 AM

DOT tires are needed to license the bike but I ride 98% offroad. Are there any DOT tires that are just as good as dirt tires for off road riding?
Anybody try the Pirelli MT21's?

Thanks in advance

Redmanrandyed

• hurricane jonny

Posted March 14, 2005 - 11:31 AM

Kenda Trackmaster II. Check out Rocky Mountain supply. They have them for about $35. I have heard very good things about these tires. I haven't picked up my BRP yet so I haven,t had the chance to try them myself. That's what I'm going with. :)

• thumpasaurus

Posted March 14, 2005 - 01:32 PM

Kenda Trackmaster II. Check out Rocky Mountain supply. They have them for about $35. I have heard very good things about these tires. I haven't picked up my BRP yet so I haven,t had the chance to try them myself. That's what I'm going with. :)

I second H.J. on the Kendas - aka: K760 - for best agressive knob DS tire :)

After trying various (expensive) DOT tires on both the 600 and 650, my opinion is none work noticeably better, most not as good, and all are more expensive -some by 2X.

• Math

Posted March 14, 2005 - 01:46 PM

I have the kenda trackmaster II and they rock!

Also, try to pick up some information on the Michelin Baja and on the Tera Flex.

Ah and you could ride a pirelli up front if you want. I think all front Pirellis are DOT... even knobby tires

• wrenchmaster

Posted March 14, 2005 - 02:17 PM

Pirelli's are great but pricy. The new 21 is different from the old one, . They made a tire that was exactly the same as a track tire for like $10 more. I would just run any tire you want, I have never had any problems. Even with a sherrif inspecting the bike, no big-e.

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 14, 2005 - 03:40 PM

There's always haybailin's (xrlug) trick of taking a dremmel tool and grinding off the "non" from the label. :)

Really it's mostly the rubber compound & not the tread design that makes a tire DOT or not. I'm running a D-606 rear and an MT-18 HD front on my XRL. This is almost the same as my WRF, except for the D-756 AT rear, and it's a good 90/10 dirt/street combo.

• LLpeteJ

Posted March 14, 2005 - 04:17 PM

this place has cheap dot tires

http://store.azmusa....froadtires.html

• mangler

Posted March 14, 2005 - 06:30 PM

I ordered a front and rear MT21 last week. Will have them installed this week, wont be riding in the dirt until the weekend. But I can give you a road report when they get installed if this helps.

I have been researching the best combo for any type of terrain, but not specializing in anything single type. And these are where i ended up.

Gregg

• sonorawfo

Posted March 14, 2005 - 06:56 PM

I've had the best luck with Pirelli MT21s.(buy them online),the prices through a dealership are way!,to high!!. While your at it get some ultra H/D tubes!!!.

• mangler

Posted March 14, 2005 - 07:07 PM

Fortunately my dealer will match any internet price I can bring him. So I personally would rather keep the business local.

But I am looking forward to my test run with the MT21's that's for sure! :)

I have only rode with the stock tires which are just an accident waiting to happen off road.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Edwatertoad

Posted March 14, 2005 - 09:50 PM

The best combination for your 98% habit is the Bridgestone- Gritty ED 78 for the Rear and a Pirelli MT 18 for your 21" Front tire. This combination is Heavy Duty and handles very well.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:07 AM

What, no vote for the terraflex?

Dave

• Winkel

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:33 PM

I've had the MT21s for about a year now, and ride 80% on road, and 20% off road. They work well everywhere. Last weekend I rode in some really greasy mud, and they were o.k., but everyone in our group was having trouble. You'll be happy with the MT21s. They seem to be holding up pretty well on the street, and hook up pretty well (pavement) considering how aggressive the tread is. My two cents...

Winkel

• heyitsjojo

Posted March 16, 2005 - 11:19 AM

i had the mt21's on my last bike, rode them for a while, ditched them at 50% for the kenda trackmaster II's. my latest bike came with mt21's, cant wait to pitch them. iv'e never been stoked on the mt21's. they were ok on road, but i was kinda disapointed over all (price vs. onroad wear vs off road traction). the trackmaster II buzzed a little on road but they are a lot more knobby and for the price you can afford to keep the knobs fresh, considering the whole set is under a hundred duckets. happy shopping- joe

• SaltyWalrus

Posted March 16, 2005 - 12:15 PM

The MT21's are good if you do more street riding. The even do ok in dry off road conditions (except: under acceleration, the back end occasionally and unexpectedly kicks way out wide and really gets your attention). They are REALLY bad in mud. I switched to Kenda Trak Master II's and love them for 95% dirt riding. No complaints off road. Feels like a good soft-intermediate terrain tire. On road, they are loud and buzzy, but I don't care. Dirt performance is what matters to me. They even wear well. Rockymtnmc has cheap prices, but there shipping is high for tires. Chapparell has cheaper overall cost.

• hurricane jonny

Posted March 16, 2005 - 01:48 PM

Go to Rocky Mountain!! They have the Kendas cheap. Front is $31.40 and 110 rear is $31.99! I think the 120 rear is $36. Can't beat it! :)

• jlpskydive

Posted March 16, 2005 - 01:51 PM

I like the Kendas alos. They seem to work very well in alot of conditions.

• JMo

Posted March 16, 2005 - 04:39 PM

I'd tend to agree with SaltyW about the MT21's - I had a set on my XR400 and they were great as an 'off-road' tyre on the road (nice predictable handling, even in the wet), and good off-road on hard rocky ground and dirt roads - but pretty poor in mud... they clogg up really easily, and don't clear...

I'm now running Michelin AC10's front and rear and they are excellent - they call them a 'road legal motocross tyre' in that it is not FIM spec for Enduros because the tread is much deeper (and more in the pattern of their Starcross MS3) - the front is really stable, and the rear hooks up great in deep mud, soft ground and even on a dry sandy motocross track - and they are really comfortable/predictable on road too - totally recommended if you need DOT tyres...

JennyMo

xxx

• sgifford

Posted March 16, 2005 - 07:36 PM

I went from Dunlop 756's (non-DOT), to a Pirelli MT-21 in the rear. I ride 95% off-road. The MT-21 is supposed to be one of the best/aggressive off-road DOT approved tires, but it was a big drop-off from the Dunlops. I'm going to switch back to straight off-road knobbies when the Pirelli wears out. I'll just get the bike inspected at a small place that does both cars and bikes. They don't even look at the tires. :-)

Seldon

• bork

Posted March 16, 2005 - 09:21 PM

I have mich enduro comp III front and a dessert rear (mich) 140/100? Big _ss wide tire. Real tite fit on my 600. And cant beleive it is dot ! I like it a lot ! And now both of my buds want same . My .02 :)

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.