Needle Position And Gas Mileage

2 replies to this topic
  • Seabass

Posted March 13, 2005 - 05:47 PM

I put a new needle in my bike ('04 YZ needle in an '05 WR) and ran a race yesterday and barely got 38 miles on 2.8 gallons of gas. There were alot of sandy creek beds and many of them were fifth gear drag races. I got 80 miles on 2.8 gallons and alot of that ride was fire roads in fifth gear, but I was using the stock needle.

I would expect to get less gas mile in the sand versus hard pack, but half the mileage? :) Can a needle change cause that much more gas consumption?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted March 14, 2005 - 04:18 AM

You can really suck gas with a rich needle and a high idle! Especially when lugging the motor around in low revs and short shifting. Wrong needle and or position. :) You should be getting 25 mpg in the worst condtiions with good jetting. :)

• Seabass

Posted March 14, 2005 - 03:00 PM

Thanks Indy :) , I adjusted the needle and the bike runs so much better. I tried to dial it in with the fuel screw but didn't have much luck. But I think I'm gonna save my bigger IMS tank and just buy some heat shield for the fuel lines, just in case!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.