Removing '03 450 starter motor

6 replies to this topic
  • viper77

Posted March 13, 2005 - 12:29 PM

I'm having a problem with my E-start, when I press the button it just clicks. I'd like to get the starter motor off without taking the side cover etc. off. Does anyone know what size the bolts are?

• viper77

Posted March 13, 2005 - 12:54 PM

Nevermind, I just figured out that it comes off from the back (exhaust side)!

• 450high

Posted March 13, 2005 - 02:02 PM

Make sure it's just not dirty terminals or a boggy battery first.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tab812

Posted March 13, 2005 - 04:23 PM

Let us know how it turns out, I am going to tear into my starter on wednesday when my 04 parts arrive from yamaha. :) :) :p

• viper77

Posted March 13, 2005 - 05:59 PM

The battery and battery side terminals are fine. The boot for the starter motor connection was full of dirt. I'm not sure if this may be part of the problem, but I'm assuming if it is clicking the voltage is getting to the starter motor. Unless anyone of you in the know can show me another way, it looks like I'm going to have to drain the oil and pull the side cover off to remove the starter. :)

Normally it wouldn't be a big deal but I just finished putting it all back together, after doing the '04 starter conversion. :)

• Wallis

Posted March 22, 2005 - 12:12 PM

2 x M8 bolts on starter Remove oil pipe, carb and you can get it out without removing the side cover

• StreetbikePimp

Posted March 22, 2005 - 04:43 PM

CHARGE YOUR BATTERY! Your starter is fine.

2-3 amp low charge overnight.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.