What sprocket setup up or down???

4 replies to this topic
  • DoctorRzed

Posted March 13, 2005 - 09:59 AM

I dont know if I should increase # of teeth on rear to be able to stay more in 3rd or less teeth to stay in second more. I need a gear in between 2nd and 3rd?
Any advice???

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2005 - 10:22 AM

For MX, most people seem to prefer gearing the earlier YZ450 models one or two teeth higher (less in the rear). I run a 15/49, which equates to a 14/46.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted March 13, 2005 - 10:27 AM

I would say gear it so you can stay in third, because if you gear it down you might find that you have lost a bit on the top end. Wouldn't you need to decrease # of teeth to stay in 3rd and increase # of teeth to stay more in second?

• 97zjguy

Posted March 13, 2005 - 02:59 PM

that's what i'm thinkin' too.

• DoctorRzed

Posted March 13, 2005 - 04:18 PM

Decreasing the rear would make it easier to stay in second increasing top. Increasing the rear will make me be able to stay in 3rd but lose some top end.
Opposite for the front sprocket.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.