questions on 94 600R

11 replies to this topic
  • beer_studd_76

Posted March 12, 2005 - 08:31 PM

i'm about to become the proud new owner of a 94 600R. it's a strong runner with a brand new top end, high(er) compression piston, and it's been bored, but i'm not sure how much.

i'm not crazy about the engine mods, but i was wondering if there are any special precaustion i should take.

also, how much advantage is there in a pumper carb over a well tuned stock carb? also, which pumper is best? and do they have any effect on uel economy, good or bad?

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 12, 2005 - 10:37 PM

Precautions: Run premium pump gas and make sure its jetted right. Keep the oil temp below 300*F. A pumper is useful if you dont want the engine to bog when you crack the throttle really fast. I personally dont have a problem because unlike alot of people, I'm smooth :). If you're on and off the gas alot, it will hurt your economy. On the highway at constant throttle, there is little difference. A well-tuned PD carb will work just great.

• beer_studd_76

Posted March 13, 2005 - 08:41 AM

Precautions: Run premium pump gas and make sure its jetted right. Keep the oil temp below 300*F. A pumper is useful if you dont want the engine to bog when you crack the throttle really fast. I personally dont have a problem because unlike alot of people, I'm smooth :). If you're on and off the gas alot, it will hurt your economy. On the highway at constant throttle, there is little difference. A well-tuned PD carb will work just great.

that's about what i figured.

about the extra compression, how much hotter will that make a bike run?

• michaeln

Posted March 13, 2005 - 08:55 AM

If you have an extra $360 laying around, you could install the SRC oil cooler kit.

• frankstr

Posted March 13, 2005 - 09:19 AM

Use a synthetic oil............. :) Not saying any brand name though :)

• beer_studd_76

Posted March 13, 2005 - 09:45 AM

Use a synthetic oil............. :) Not saying any brand name though :)

i'm a believer in diesel specific oils (delo, rotella, delvac, supertech) as deisels run at extremely high compression, high loads, and high temps. do certain synthetics have better heat protection properties than HD diesel oils?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted March 13, 2005 - 10:18 AM

i'm a believer in diesel specific oils (delo, rotella, delvac, supertech) as deisels run at extremely high compression, high loads, and high temps. do certain synthetics have better heat protection properties than HD diesel oils?

I'm with you on that. For how frequently most riders change the oil and how good the base stocks are for commercial diesel oils, its not worth the extra $4 or more per quart for synthetic. Look for "oil" in the keyword and "qadsan" in the username search fields and you'll get a ton of oil-related discussion. And yes, sythetics resist thermal breakdown better. If your bike isnt running hot its not a probelem, though. Just keep the oil temp as far below 300 as you can(but still above 200). I personally use Delo 400 and have some unopened Delvac.

If you're really worried, you can get a dipstick thermometer. I would do that before buying oil coolers or fin extensions or other expensive parts.

• 600ish

Posted March 13, 2005 - 04:22 PM

I have a '94 that is stock other than a White Bros. E-series headpipe and silencer with 12 discs and I have been running Mobil One MX4T full synthetic and K&N oil filters and no complaints so far, and I'm on it hard every weekend in tight, hot trails and it is dead reliable. :) , Walt

• beer_studd_76

Posted March 13, 2005 - 05:44 PM

update:

turns out it's a 93, and i found out the bore was honed, not imbiggened, so it's a stock sized piston. also, it's an 11:1 piston

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 13, 2005 - 07:23 PM

11:1 is going to make running pump gas tough, especially in hot weather. If you live in a state where 95+ is available at gas stations and dont mind paying the extra, then go for it. I for one grimmace at paying $2.60 for pump premium (until it goes up another $0.10 every other day, then I'll just be angry).

• beer_studd_76

Posted March 13, 2005 - 09:03 PM

11:1 is going to make running pump gas tough, especially in hot weather. If you live in a state where 95+ is available at gas stations and dont mind paying the extra, then go for it. I for one grimmace at paying $2.60 for pump premium (until it goes up another $0.10 every other day, then I'll just be angry).

i run a 50/50 mix of 93 octane pump premium/100LL AvGas. also, i'm not afraid to add toulene if i have too.

• minioutlaw

Posted March 14, 2005 - 11:53 AM

I have a 10.5:1 piston in my '97 XR600 and I live at altitude. I detonate running anything less than premium. I would guess that running an 11:1 piston at a lower altitude in an XR would require very high octane. But it sounds like you are prepared to run that already.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.