Small end rod clearance xr650l

2 replies to this topic
  • SDBSKI

Posted March 12, 2005 - 08:03 PM

Hello everyone. I bought a '93 XR650L not running in need of some top end work. Upon teardown and doing some measuring I found, among other issues the clearance on the Rod/piston pin to be excessive. About .0027". I believe it is still serviceable but I was wondering how long it will last. The engine has about 9K on it and the rod big end is in good shape. Has anyone used a sloppy rod/piston pin without problems?
Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted March 13, 2005 - 09:22 AM

Find out what the factory Min.Max. tolerance is, and go from there TMO :)

• SDBSKI

Posted March 13, 2005 - 09:05 PM

Well the standard clearance is .0009"-.0019" service limit given in the manual is 0.948" which is kind of strange. Instead of a clearance they give a max diameter on the rod small end. Mine measures 0.9475" which gives me a .0027" clearance with a standard pin. It appears to fall into the service limits, but if I run it, how long until it devolopes a rod knock? Or has anyone ran into the same situation and the thing ran many miles without a problem. :)
Steve

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.