no spark

8 replies to this topic
  • Taffy

Posted December 17, 2000 - 03:09 PM

well i've joined the ranks!

started misfiring on me a month ago & i haven't ridden it since. so i stripped & blew out the carb.

no spark. we tried tow starting it. not a sausage, diddly squeek.

checked all connections. plug not even overly wet. just no spark. idea's please.

Taffy

• Boit

Posted December 17, 2000 - 03:59 PM

Did you remove the spark plug, attach it to the high tension wire(ignition lead), ground the plug body to the cylinder and turn the engine over to check for a spark? If still no spark, you need to retrace back to the coil and then perhaps to the CDI....and then the stator. Don't forget the basics of checking the ignition wire and plug cap.

• Bill

Posted December 17, 2000 - 05:18 PM

Taffy,

It seems that Clark and some others have experienced this or similar. Had to do with the spark plug lead.

Yse Boits steps and you should find it.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• imported_Scott_H

Posted December 17, 2000 - 06:17 PM

Don't forget to check the kill switch also.

Good luck
Scott

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted December 17, 2000 - 08:51 PM

One thing I did to try to pin down the source of my (former) spark problem was take the spark plug out, disconnect the cap from the high tension wire (HTW) and kick it through while grounding the end of the HTW. If the problem is only in the cap, you should see a pretty impressive blue spark coming out of the end of the HTW. (Try to avoid getting shocked.) If that's what you see, try taking apart and cleaning out the cap thoroughly with contact cleaner, q-tips and pipe cleaners and reinstalling it.

I just re-read the posts and this may be what Boit is describing.

Check out the 2nd to the last post in the topic titled "Carb setup--what do you think?" There's a little more detail about this subject.

[This message has been edited by Rich in Orlando (edited 12-17-2000).]

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted December 17, 2000 - 09:59 PM

Boy, I'm pretty disappointed. Now even poor, old Taffy is having to fix his bike. This instead of cutting carb slides and ridiculing KTMs :)

I think you've scared off the KTM guys 'cause I was expecting to see some serious flaming on this one :D

Brian

• Boit

Posted December 17, 2000 - 10:25 PM

Bryan: I took some classes on "compassion for my fellow man" this weekend....;D

• ande749

Posted December 17, 2000 - 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Taffy:
...plug not even overly wet. just no spark. idea's please.

Taffy

Have you tried with a new plug? I've noticed that even good looking plugs might not give sparks.
Ande

• Taffy

Posted December 18, 2000 - 08:17 AM

thanks for the suggestions so far.

nothing under common faults is jumping up to bite me is it!

the reason i might not have had my ass kicked by ktm riders is coz we don't know what's wrong with it. just the mere fact that it doesn't start doesn't mean yamaha made a mistake.

anyway if i dish it out i expect to take it!

i'll hopefully get a mate to swap some bits over & we'll see.

it was a new plug just for this. old or new-no spark. don't forget i towed it without so much as a stutter. tried it against the pipe/head/everywhere it aint there. kill switch looked good. i haven't done the full blown multi meter test yet.

Taffy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.