Change sprocket bolts ?

12 replies to this topic
  • Fryboy

Posted March 11, 2005 - 08:42 AM

Hi everyone,

I am currently replacing my drive train. While tightening on my rear sprocket one of the bolts broke. My question is, would you replace all the bolts or just the one that broke? My concern is if one broke perhaps some of the others are ready to any time? Being so cheap the price isn't a concern. What would you do?

Thanks
Fryboy

• scotty38

Posted March 11, 2005 - 08:49 AM

Being so cheap the price isn't a concern. What would you do?

I think that's your answer, replace them.... :-)

• kevin1209

Posted March 11, 2005 - 09:00 AM

Did you use a torque wrench? You just overtightened it, that's all. If you want to spend the money, replace them. But a bolt doesn't lose its strength unless you actively overstress it. I'd save the money for other stuff. :)

• mtrablue

Posted March 11, 2005 - 10:51 AM

replace replace replace. there have been enough guys on this forum that have wasted rear hubs from busted sproket bolts to get my attention. there's an outfit that sells a kit on ebay. a couple buddies are using these nuts and bolts and are very pleased with them.

• msgbean

Posted March 11, 2005 - 01:56 PM

Don't take any chances. They are only $12 at www.motorsportsoutlet.com.

• Fryboy

Posted March 11, 2005 - 02:01 PM

Nope didn't use a torch wrench. And I wasn't overly tightening the bolt as far as i could tell :p

I have made up my mind, I am switching out all of them. Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind :)

Fryboy :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CISCO

Posted March 11, 2005 - 03:40 PM

Nope didn't use a torch wrench. And I wasn't overly tightening the bolt as far as i could tell :)

I have made up my mind, I am switching out all of them. Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind :)

Fryboy :p

Replace them dude. Look at my sprocket luck and dont think twice. Replace them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sylvain

Posted March 11, 2005 - 04:32 PM

Replace the bolts and nuts, use a torque wrench and apply blue loctite (removable). :)

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted March 11, 2005 - 04:48 PM

Hi everyone,

I am currently replacing my drive train. While tightening on my rear sprocket one of the bolts broke. My question is, would you replace all the bolts or just the one that broke? My concern is if one broke perhaps some of the others are ready to any time? Being so cheap the price isn't a concern. What would you do?

Thanks
Fryboy

If one broke, then others migh later, under heavy load, then it could tear up lots more. Replace them all now.

• drewpeacock

Posted March 11, 2005 - 06:39 PM

I too tried the cheap route once and it cost me a rear hub, engine case and a thirty mile ride back on my wifes bike, with her on the back. :)

• Tab812

Posted March 11, 2005 - 08:55 PM

I second, Replace,Replace,Replace.....

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 14, 2005 - 04:27 AM

I always replace them with every new rear sprocket. Bolts are cheap. Hubs are expensive! :)

• MathProf

Posted March 14, 2005 - 05:24 AM

Replace them.

You need to be VERY CAREFUL about your chain tension. It is easy to make the chain too tight and that will pull on the rear sprocket and pop a bolt or two.

Were any other bolts loose or was it just the one???? :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.