handlebars stock or after market?

10 replies to this topic
  • superjeffro

Posted March 11, 2005 - 12:05 AM

i have a yz 450f 2004. i heard if you put pro-taper bars on a bike it will feel so much better. What do you think? Should i leave it stock or shell out the extra money for better handling? P.S. everything else on the bike is stock except for the chain. :)

• 9-d-9

Posted March 11, 2005 - 02:53 AM

The stock bars on the 450 are about as good as the stock chain. The first time I took a digger on my bike, the bars got tweaked. I have the the Pro Taper bar now and have been down many times since and still straight. I would just wait until you bend 'em.

• etownyzf

Posted March 11, 2005 - 03:57 AM

pro tapers are great bars-get some -they are super strong(if you bend them your leaving the track in an ambulance) they help dampen vibration (helps with arm pump)the only set back is you need a new top clamp-or you need the universal bar mount kit they sell-but its worth it :)

• yz400fl1

Posted March 11, 2005 - 06:58 AM

I second the pro-tapers. My 400 has hit the ground so many times. The bars are as straight as when I bought them.

• 642MX

Posted March 11, 2005 - 08:47 AM

I third the Pro Tapers, best bar on the market. I used the universal mount adapters on mine, I'm tall and the extra 3/4 inch of height helped me too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2005 - 09:15 AM

The only downside with Pro Tapers or other fat bars is the necessity of changing something on the top clamp in order to use them. You can get adapters to use them with the stock upper, but these raise the bars 10-15mm. A economy priced top clamp will be about $120.

I use TAG X5 7/8" bars in the stock top clamp. They are outrageously strong. I did bend a pair on my CR500 once, and it took a 5 foot length of pipe and 3 people holding the bike to put it back where it belonged.

Some say that bars without a crossbar have a better feel. I don't know. I'm not knocking them, just pointing out that there's still an alternative to spending $200 or more to convert to fat bars.

Either way, the stuff they used to hold the brake and clutch lever on '04 and earlier YZ's for delivery is pretty trashy. I've actually seen people break them at the track in fairly minor crashes.

• 9-d-9

Posted March 11, 2005 - 11:10 AM

[quote name='grayracer513']The only downside with Pro Tapers or other fat bars is the necessity of changing something on the top clamp in order to use them. QUOTE]

The Pro Tapers I have are called SE(seven-eighths) and they fit the stock mount without having to change anything.

• adaguy

Posted March 11, 2005 - 11:47 AM

I have heard of folks breaking the adaptors which to me doesn't sound fun at all, so I spent some time evaluating what would cause this and the following are my findings: The machining on the adaptors have a large tolerance, you can visually see a gap where the adaptors dip down into the existing bar clamp, thus the only surface area that is holding the adaptors is the area directly under where the bolts meet the upper triple clamps. there is allot of leverage there so it is important to fix this problem. Secondly water will sit inside bolt pockets where the bolts are thus slowly rusting the bolts.
The cure, I used a good epoxy glue for the bottom adapter thus bringing the tolerance to 0, this increases the surface area over the entire area holding the adapter. before putting in your bars put silicone in the bolt pockets that hold the adapter onto the triple clamp this will waterproof the bolts.
I have full confidence in my adaptors now, hope my explanation is adequate.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 11, 2005 - 12:09 PM

I use TAG X5 7/8" bars in the stock top clamp. They are outrageously strong. I did bend a pair on my CR500 once, and it took a 5 foot length of pipe and 3 people holding the bike to put it back where it belonged.

I ran the same bars before I had Pro Tapers on my YZ. The reason I ditched them was a crossbar bolt rattled loose and stripped out the threads from all the banging all the time. IMO, Pro Taper style bars are well worth the $. I went with the universal risers and Henry bend bars and I'm really happy with the setup.

• superjeffro

Posted March 11, 2005 - 04:06 PM

thanks for all the info:)

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2005 - 04:51 PM

I ran the same bars before I had Pro Tapers on my YZ. The reason I ditched them was a crossbar bolt rattled loose and stripped out the threads from all the banging all the time. IMO, Pro Taper style bars are well worth the $. I went with the universal risers and Henry bend bars and I'm really happy with the setup.

Of the 3 pairs of X5's I've owned, none have ever loosened (which is kind of surprising in the case of the CR500; it managed to shake everything else loose!). One point to remember about most crossbar aluminum bars is that the bars are pre-stressed before the crossbars are tightened (and quite often, the clamps are glued in place). If they come loose, they'll be weaker than they started out.

The Pro Tapers I have are called SE(seven-eighths) and they fit the stock mount without having to change anything.

I wasn't sure if PT made a 7/8" bar. Obviously, any good 7/8" alloy bar will do, and they will all replace the stockers without modification, but some are certainly sturdier than others. I assumed the poster was talking about the cross-barless 1 1/8" PT's, since he mentioned "feel" as a criteria. The SE has a crossbar.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.