Chain Maintance

11 replies to this topic
  • curtains23

Posted March 10, 2005 - 12:34 PM

Is ther someone out there who can help me with this one?
03 YZ450, Lubrication and maintance of Renthal non O ring Chain,

I have tried spray on waxes and lubricants, putoline wax which is solid and
then heated with the chain in it, the wax contains graphite which then lubricates it, but have used 3 chains and 3 set of sprockets in 6 months
riding 5 hours per week, after each outing the chain is degreased and re lubed, chains are renthal, sprockets have been renthal, and J T steel,
If I changed to O Ring how do you clean them because use is mud/sand
without damaging the O rings, should I try X ring any help would be great.

CURTAIN23 :)

• Driftwood

Posted March 10, 2005 - 01:03 PM

Im new to mx, 1st bike since I was a teenager Got a 426. I use the motor oil from oil changes on my chain and it works great, oil it at track between rides. I wonder if you have a tension problem to tight? Hope some more people post for both our benefit good luck.

• MXof21

Posted March 10, 2005 - 02:36 PM

I am sure to get flamed on this but I have been running the same O-Ring chain on my YZ450F for a year and a half and have not had to adjust it once. The only thing I do to it is spray it down very well with WD-40 after each ride. Some will tell you that WD-40 eats the rubber 0-Rings but it is working great for me. The real bonus is that your chain and sprockets stay looking like new. FYI - I probably put 100-150 hours on my bike per year.

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2005 - 02:43 PM

Is ther someone out there who can help me with this one?
03 YZ450, Lubrication and maintance of Renthal non O ring Chain,

I have tried spray on waxes and lubricants, putoline wax which is solid and
then heated with the chain in it, the wax contains graphite which then lubricates it, but have used 3 chains and 3 set of sprockets in 6 months
riding 5 hours per week, after each outing the chain is degreased and re lubed, chains are renthal, sprockets have been renthal, and J T steel,

So do you enjoy spending all that time and money on one aspect of your bike's maintenance? Spend the $80, get a Regina Gold O-ring chain and simplify your life for the next year and a half at least.

If I changed to O Ring how do you clean them because use is mud/sand
without damaging the O rings, should I try X ring any help would be great.

CURTAIN23 :)

I recommend the Regina chain over the DID's for several reasons, but they're both good stuff. You put one on the bike, and you leave it there. Spray it with Simple Green when you wash the bike and hose it off. DO NOT pressure wash it from any distance closer than 2 feet, or any angle other than directly from the side. You do not want to drive water in under the O-rings.

Now that it's clean, you have 2 choices. The first is to spray the chain with WD-40 to prevent it from getting rusty. No, WD-40 isn't a good chain lube. The lube in an O-ring chain is sealed in. These same seals seal out anything you spray onto the outside.

The second choice is the one I use, but you have to be careful. I apply a non-sticky/greasy chain lube (Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard) to prevent rust, lube the outer rollers, and help lube the outer contact surfaces of the O-rings. It drys almost clean, picks up nearly nothing, and washes off with Simple Green very nicely. The worst thing you can do is spray something on the chain that will gather all kinds of crap and turn it into a gooey, abrasive paste all over your chain.

Overall, it takes a lot less time, you adjust the chain very infrequently, the chains last 3 times as long at minimum, and I've probably spent less on my premium chain than you have on your less expensive ones.

Step up. It's your time and money.

• 99raptor

Posted March 10, 2005 - 04:06 PM

at the rate your going thru sprockets and chains, it sounds like something else is wrong. mis-alignment?

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted March 10, 2005 - 08:35 PM

I've got the same problem with chains stretching way to quickly. I've used the stock chain, the heavy duty primary drive and current using the DID heavy duty chain. I'm going back to RK, i used them on both my 426 and my KX-500. I can't remember ever ever going through chains like this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted March 11, 2005 - 04:02 AM

You guys going through chains, switch to a sealed chain! o-ring, x-ring, z-ring whatever, just get a sealed chain! The very best of the best is the DID ERV2, but any of the DID or Regina sealed chains will give you a very good service life.

• mx426

Posted March 11, 2005 - 07:17 AM

I have used the same non o-ring chain for a year now, and I think I have adjusted it twice. I ride in the sand a lot and the alkeline content is very high so it gets washed sometimes twice a weekend or more. I didn't have very much luck with the o-ringer. I ride every weekend and my chain has held up great. I am agrreing wiht what was stated earlier, re-check your alignment and don't go by the marks on the swingarm, they can be misleading.

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2005 - 09:01 AM

I have never replaced a Regina OR chain. I have purchased 3, but they're all still in use, including the first one I bought for my old CR500 more than two years ago. Up until then, putting a chain on that bike was like tossing it into a tree chipper. I rode it mostly in the desert and between the sand and the bike's ability to destroy anything remotely connected to the output shaft, it went through 3 rear sprockets and two fronts while I had the Regina on it, all on the same chain. Each time I replaced a sprocket, I checked the chain for length, measuring over a forty pin length instead of ten to amplify any stretching, and for proper fit on the new cog. It was fine. A friend of mine bought the bike and is still running the same chain.

The one on my YZ450 is over a year old. It's been adjusted four times, including the change of rear sprocket, and runs freer than the DID on my 250F. When I need a new chain, I know what I'll be buying.

• techmc

Posted March 11, 2005 - 07:17 PM

New to TT, but have 25 years in mx and dirt riding. My 03 yz450 had stock sprockets and Regina chain up until this month. Cleaning is absolutely necessary on any chain,my Regina lasted now since march 03,cleaned off bike after all 22 races.Stock sprocket lives much longer when chain is maintained and aligned after every race or couple of rides. :)

• yzf450jack

Posted March 11, 2005 - 09:26 PM

I have had an RK 0ring on my bike since the 2nd time I rode it and it's still on it I clean it after every ride and oil er up and it just keeps on goin Mud and sand :) on the chain I see big wear and tear from a good mud ride :) :p But I don't ride much in that stuff so that could be why my chain is lasting so long :D

• DigilubeJay

Posted March 12, 2005 - 05:12 AM

If you take proper care of your chain and sprockets, you could easily get a year or two of HARD riding on a regular old standard roller chain and aluminum sprockets.
Expect about the same with a ring chain.

If you are going through sprockets and chains quickly, there is a drive maintenance issue that is being missed or done incorrectly. More than likely an adjustment/lubrication/cleaning thing.

http://www.best-moto...rocket_tips.htm

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.