Latest on GOLD CAP

14 replies to this topic

Posted March 09, 2005 - 06:24 PM

So what is the latest on the Mobil One GOLD CAP. I picked up 2 quarts today at Wal Mart because they were out of the red cap. So I did the search and people seem to be up in the air on it. Any more on this subject?

• devilsslide

Posted March 09, 2005 - 06:31 PM

Get the Mobil One MX4T. It is made for motorcycles with wet clutches and is rated JASO MA.

Mobil One Moto Oil

It can be found at any AutoZone.

• WheelsUp

Posted March 09, 2005 - 07:07 PM

MX4T is about $6.99 at WalMart.

Rotella-T synth (5w-40) is about $3/qt, and has always been the preferred "backup" for RedCap.

I've got 9 quarts in the garage. I run GoldCap 5w-30 in my Tundra.

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2005 - 10:54 AM

From the analysis I saw, it appears that Gold Cap is formulated to more closely comply with API SL, and looks like it would be less suitable for high performance MC applications. Has lower levels of zinc and phosphorus, higher calcium and moly.

Posted March 10, 2005 - 01:19 PM

The heck with it!! I returned the stuff today. I am going to stick with my old stand by Yamalube 4R. :)

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2005 - 02:24 PM

YamaLube isn't a particularly good choice, IMO. The last time I looked, it was an SJ oil, rather than an SG/SH as originally recommended by Yamaha for your 426, it isn't a high grade synthetic, and I remember at least 4 people complain about their clutch grabbing and/or dragging when using the stuff.

Mobil 1 MX4T is an excellent, durable oil, and reasonably priced. Shell Rotella (full synthetic) 5W-40 is another good one. There are any number of good ones to use besides the old Red Cap. Don't settle.

• devilsslide

Posted March 10, 2005 - 03:09 PM

Cool! They have MX4T at Wal-Mart. Even easier!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WheelsUp

Posted March 10, 2005 - 03:54 PM

Wal Mart is iffy.

The Chino Hills WM has MX4T, but never has Rotella synth... only Rotella 15-50 dino. They have a shelf tag for V-Twin, but never have it in stock.
The Pomona WM has Rotella synth, but no Mobil moto oils... can't even find a spot on the shelf for it. They do have Castrol dino for both 2 and 4 stroke.
Upland doesn't have jack.

• qadsan

Posted March 10, 2005 - 04:16 PM

For you SoCal guys who are in or near the 909 / 951 area, you can buy Mobil products directly from Empire Oil and they'll likely have the oil products you need for your bikes, cars, aircraft, etc. They mainly deal with commercial accouts, but they'll also sell retail in small quantities. They stock tons and tons of Mobil products and their prices are usually very competitive. I've done business with them for many years and they've always provided prompt & courteous service. Here's their contact info...

Empire Oil
2756 S. Riverside Ave
Bloomington, CA 92316

• WheelsUp

Posted March 10, 2005 - 04:35 PM

Interesting. I remember my Dad used to buy Shell oil products direct from the depot, rather than Pep Boys or Western Auto.

• tnl

Posted March 10, 2005 - 08:13 PM

Walmart and Autozone are no longer carrying mobil mx4t or red cap in my area ? Found a distributor near Jackson, Ms that will send it to me though. What a pain :)

• kincade

Posted March 10, 2005 - 08:29 PM

Same here; they discontinued it at Azone and Walmart here. Not ONE place in UT to buy it.

• bullet3z

Posted March 16, 2005 - 08:20 PM

No Mobile MXT4 at my Autozone either. Infact when I asked the kid for it he looked at me like I was talking in French. That was when I gave up and walked away, trust me when I say, it was for the best.

• Joe_Jet

Posted March 17, 2005 - 12:02 PM

MX4T.....SoCal.....Kragen Auto Parts

• devilsslide

Posted March 17, 2005 - 04:11 PM

really, they have it at Kragen... cool~ I live in SoCal too

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.