FMF Q2 Installed

15 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted March 09, 2005 - 01:26 PM

Got the pipe in yesterday, installed it this morning. It feels like the bottom end has woken up considerably, but I was just running it around the neighborhood to check my handiwork. I'll give it a good flogging this evening when I get done with my honey-do's.

The fit and finish of the entire pipe is top shelf and I couldn't be happier with how it looks on the bike. But now it's time to find out how it works where it really counts. I did notice a lot more snapping and popping on deceleration with the FMF over the uncorked stock, so perhaps I'm still a bit rich. I guess I'll drop the needle one position and see what happens.

If anyone is interested in the stock pipe, I've put an ad for it in the classifieds section. Is $50 plus shipping out of line? It was on the bike for only 23 miles before the new one showed up. Anyway, I'd love to get it to someone who will appreciate it. Performance update to follow...SC

• ddialogue

Posted March 09, 2005 - 01:52 PM

How about some photos along with that performance update? :)

• pjriss

Posted March 09, 2005 - 03:32 PM

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, snapping and popping on decelleration is caused by a lean condition. Mine did the same thing when I replaced a White Bros e with a Q and powerbomb. It means it flows better and thats a good thing :) All I had to do was turn the fuel mixture screw out a bit.

• clark4131

Posted March 09, 2005 - 07:50 PM

No, you're not sorely mistaken, it was my bad. I guess I need to richen it up just a touch. As soon as my hot start nut gets here from Zip-Ty, I'll yank the carb and raise the needle to see if that cures it. Right now I'm running a 168 Main, 45 Pilot, 72 starter and a 40 Leak. The bike runs great except for the decel popping. I'm hoping the needle change will do it, plus a little fuel screw adjustment. BTW, I'm riding in the 5500' to 7000' elevation range.

As far as performance goes, all I can say is :) ! The front wheel has developed some sort of anti-gravity property and hates to stay in contact with the ground when I put the spurs to her. The low end is definitely wide awake and terrain I would normally take in a certain gear can now be handled in the next higher gear. I'm loving it!

The exhaust note has definitely become a little throatier than the uncorked stock version, but as far as volume, I think it's about the same until I get her into the mid to upper RPM range, then the thing really starts to yodel.

All in all, I'm very happy with the new Q2, but I'd really like to hear/ride someone's '05 with a PowerCore on it just for comparison. I waffled back and forth between the two before buying, but I wanted a USFS compliant exhaust as I do a lot of riding in and around National Forest areas.

I do have one small complaint...the big "Q" sticker on the side of the muffler flew away at some point during my ride. Evidently, the glue just wasn't up to the heat. I'm not too terribly disappointed and the remaining glue came off with a little "Goof Off", leaving no mark at all. It actually looks cleaner without it, but I'm still going to get a replacement from FMF in case I decide I want it back on. So, if you're thinking about getting a Q2, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it...SC

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 10, 2005 - 03:18 AM

Steve, nice report... The popping on decel could mean you're still lean even at your elevation. In my opinion your pilot should be a bit richer like a 48, I bet it'll cure the pop you're hearing. Also, I went to an 04 needle and didn't see any benefit other than it being adjustable. But do yourself a favor try a 48 pilot.

Dan

• clark4131

Posted March 10, 2005 - 06:11 AM

I'm going to try adjusting the needle and fuel screw first. With the current set-up, my fuel screw works best when it's fully seated, so I think I might actually need to go smaller on the pilot. It's a weird situation and I'm having a hard time figuring it out...SC

• elton

Posted March 10, 2005 - 06:30 AM

I did notice a lot more snapping and popping on deceleration with the FMF over the uncorked stock, so perhaps I'm still a bit rich.

Do you still have your AIS, as it will cause this? I recall I didn't notice such on my stock pipe until I uncorked it -- the Lowedog AIS removal kit fixed it.

Elton

• clark4131

Posted March 10, 2005 - 07:03 AM

The AIS was gone the first day. I have all the mods done and have played with it enough that I know it's a jetting issue...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elton

Posted March 10, 2005 - 07:27 AM

This is what my kid's DRZ-110 is doing since putting a FMF on it; I'm at a loss since there is no JD kit for that bike.

Hey, I'm also doing a new exhaust (my vendors are moving slow with info/pricing/etc.); the best complete system I can find that is adjustable is the Yosh TRC comp or pro complete:
http://www.yoshimura...xhaust_dirt.asp

I considered the E2, but it's not a complete system; figured if I'm going to do it may as well do it all. I considered the Q2 w/powerbomb, but its not adjustable -- its it? Did you replace the header/mid pipe also? If so, how hard to install?

Elton

• R_Little

Posted March 10, 2005 - 08:34 AM

Make sure the pipe clamps are all tight. Small exhaust leaks will cause poping too.

• woodsk

Posted March 10, 2005 - 10:59 AM

The exhaust note has definitely become a little throatier than the uncorked stock version, but as far as volume, I think it's about the same until I get her into the mid to upper RPM range, then the thing really starts to yodel.

So you are saying that the Q2 is just as loud as the stock pipe with no insert???????? or did I misunderstand :)

• clark4131

Posted March 10, 2005 - 11:34 AM

With my untrained ear, the Q2 is about as loud in the lower RPM range as an uncorked stock pipe. In the upper range however, the Q2 sounds louder. From what I understand though, the decibel range that matters with regard to the law is in the lower range, so I'm not worrying about it. The pipe does flow better than a stock pipe and can be felt most in the low end, but it is evident through the entire power range as well...SC

• clark4131

Posted March 11, 2005 - 06:55 PM

So I tinkered a little today to get rid of the decel pop & fart festival and I think I got it totally dialed in. I replaced the POS plastic hot start nut with an aluminum one from Zip-Ty...if you don't have one yet, get one, it's totally worth it. I also removed the the little screw spacers from the clamps on both the intake and exhaust side of the carb so I could get a good seal and avoid any air leaks. I then rechecked the mid-pipe connection on the new exhaust and confirmed there were no leaks. I then went from #5 to #4 on the Red JD Needle with a 168 Main, 45 Pilot, 40 Leak and the stock Starter jet. I have absolutely no popping or anything other than a nice crisp exhaust note. I'm still not getting any real response from the Zip-Ty fuel screw but I'm leaving it at 2 turns out and it seems to be fine. I'm tired of messing with that thing as I'm now convinced it is snake oil, at least on the 2005. The bike flat rips, and I don't think I could really get it any better, let alone use any more power with my current ability. For what it's worth, I'm riding between 4500' and 6500' elevation, the current temps are between 65-75 with low humidity. So there you have it...SC

• WheelsUp

Posted March 11, 2005 - 07:07 PM

So you are saying that the Q2 is just as loud as the stock pipe with no insert???????? or did I misunderstand :)

Keep in mind that the '05 pipe changed. It now has a much smaller "stinger" than the '04. Stock, it is now 82db, and uncorked, it's 96db.
The '04 and older WR pipes were louder than the YZ when uncorked.

• woodsk

Posted March 11, 2005 - 07:56 PM

Keep in mind that the '05 pipe changed. It now has a much smaller "stinger" than the '04. Stock, it is now 82db, and uncorked, it's 96db.
The '04 and older WR pipes were louder than the YZ when uncorked.

Ahh.....yes, thanks. I was thinking of my 04 uncorked

• Dan_from_HB

Posted March 11, 2005 - 08:59 PM

With my '00WR400F, I went from stock to uncorked stock to Powercore 4 to FMF Q. The Powercore 4 was loudest with good top-end power. When I went to the Q, it made a HUGE difference in sound level, and I also noticed a snappier low end just off idle. Logic dictates that it should lose top end power, but I didn't notice any loss. I'll publish my jetting when I think I've got it right. It shouldn't be too far off the 450 jetting.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.