YZ oil reading on the stick

3 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted March 09, 2005 - 05:13 AM

How sensitive is the YZ426 to a little overfill on the dipstick? I did an oil change last night and it's about 2mm past the high mark on the stick. Should I drain some off or will the frame reservoir handle the extra? Some manuals say to get it exactly, but this one just says to hit the high mark (no warning about causing extra pressure on seals etc. with too much oil.)

• Satch0922

Posted March 09, 2005 - 07:04 AM

you will be ok. You might see a little "spooge" from the breather tube but don't worry about it. No more than you are over you will be ok.

Plus, always warm the bike up and then check the oil level for an accurate reading.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chills

Posted March 09, 2005 - 07:42 AM

There have been many times I have put extra oil in on accident, dont worry about it, you will be OK. Better too much, than too less IMO....

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2005 - 08:48 AM

I had a friend put 2 full quarts in his 426. That was a little messy, and the bike smoked a lot for a while because at that level, it was shoving oil down the vent tube between the frame and the cam cover for lack of space in the tank. The extra oil on top and the inability to completely scavenge the crankcases caused the smoking, but once we lowered the oil level it stopped, and it's been fine ever since.

This can happen if you forget to drain the crankcases during an oil change, too, especially if you don't run the engine before draining.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.