Time for Another Bike, and Moving On

21 replies to this topic
  • James_Dean

Posted August 15, 2001 - 01:07 PM

ThumperTalk members,

I've had a lot of fun with my '00WR400 during the last year and talking with you riders here on the forum has made it all that much better. Lately I haven't been riding the WR very much. Since there has been a 250EXC in the shed, it's been getting the majority of the ride time. Most of the trails we ride are tight and twisty making the lighter bike my choice. So last week my big blue thunder machine found a new owner. Yep, sold it to the first buyer and he was very enthused about all the jetting, timing, and "grey wire" modification tips from here on TTalk.

This forum is great and I hope to continue contributing from time to time. After making over 800 posts here and having some challenging discussion on jetting there are still new ideas showing up. The mutual respect and sharing that is shown here is a good example of what the motorcycle riding community is made of. It also shows that the internet has a wealth of good information.

James Dean :)

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 15, 2001 - 02:12 PM

You have been nothing but an inspiration here on TT. Your wizardry in jetting has benefitted everyone.

Your insight will be greatly missed, James!

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• Bill

Posted August 15, 2001 - 02:20 PM

You have been an asset to the TT community and will be missed. Many of us have you to thank, for all the jetting information you have contributed. Also the knowledge and performance we gained from trying your jetting.

As per my signature, my bike totally rips, starts first or second kick and NEVER fouls plugs.

Take care and please continue to drop by.

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

Posted August 15, 2001 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for everything,James Dean!! :) :D :D

• mcarp

Posted August 15, 2001 - 06:24 PM

Best Wishes, Thanks for all your wisdom and advice. If you have any "custom" needles lying around the shop, I may be interested in purchasing them!

Thanks again,

• splinter

Posted August 16, 2001 - 02:06 AM

Dr J, many thanks for all the time and effort that you have put into this site and for making our bikes that much better. It would be nice if you let us know which other sites you contribute or are going too (if you do) so that we can drop you a line once in a while. I too am thinking of going back to a 2 stroke but I'm just a bit unsure about being able to adapt back to them (how did you find the transition?). Any way all the best,
P.S. you haven't kidnapped Taffy by any chance? Perhaps he's just been silenced by the orange ones!!?

'99 wr400 with, blah blah, blah blah
blah blah, blah

• Tree_Crippler

Posted August 16, 2001 - 05:33 AM

Thanks for all your help. I would still have a stock bike if you didn't get me thinking. Now its street legal and race ready.

• Ynahg

Posted August 16, 2001 - 06:09 AM

Thanks for the help concerning the jetting problems. I thought I would never get that bike jetted correctly, thanks to your advise... It rips and fouls no plugs!!!

btw i'm considering an orange bike too as my next bike

'99 WR400 F, YZ exhaust, throttle stop trimmed, WR timing, airbox cover removed

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted August 16, 2001 - 07:00 AM

You have been a tremendous asset to this site. Thanks for sharing with us your incredible knowledge! Don't be a stranger.

• WR_Jason

Posted August 16, 2001 - 09:11 PM

no, you cant, go, you just cant!!, sniff, sniff, Ahhhhhhhh, (break down and tears and stuff).

Thanks for all the awsome post and jetting stuff JD. Good luck to you, yeah drop by and say hi once in a while.

(my prediction,,,,, Youll be back on a blue thumper by the end of the year :) )

<marquee> And so it was,,, James Dean rode off into the sunset on an orange motorcycle,,,, riding a wheelie and yelling something about pilot jets and air screws,,, Good bye James Dean,,,, Good bye!! <marquee>

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ricky1

Posted August 16, 2001 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for all the help. I couldn't have done it without you.

Rick Fuller
'01 yz426
'00 yz426 destroyed by fire in desert race 4/22/01
'81 490 Maico

• Tim_Heslip

Posted August 16, 2001 - 10:30 AM

The world of Yamaha 4-strokes is a better place because of you. If you get as active on a KTM site, the members are in for a great surprise. Thanks for all your help and good luck, please visit us often.

• Taffy

Posted August 16, 2001 - 12:34 PM

i never thought i'd meet another titan of hard graft and petrol soaked fingers, of countless hours of thinking just to come up with one idea-big or small.

sat on this side of the pond i thought you guys had too much money and life was like a box of chocolates and you DID know what you were getting!

you proved that misconseption wrong.

a real pleasure JD. i'm gonna remember you long after my WR is pulp.

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted August 16, 2001 - 02:45 PM

There is no doubt that your suggestions and help along the way have made my riding experience much more pleasurable and rewarding.

You always hit the nail on the head when it came to your recommendations. This saved me countless hours of time and frustration.

It is clear that all of us have benefited greatly from your help.

Best of luck with the KTM. The good news is that you have left behind a wealth of knowledge that I am sure will live on.

Thanks again,

John Dumke

• BlueThunder

Posted August 16, 2001 - 08:53 PM

JD.......you are the reason my WR runs like it should! Thank you for your posts and advice and remember......the offer to go riding is always open. I too have a 380EXC on my mind as a second mount so I may see you down at Hinshaw's occasionally. Hope you are enjoying your new ride.

Rob in Fed. Way

Y2K WR400FM,Answer top tree w/Accu-Trax clamp,Pro-Tapers(CR-Hi w/ EE handguards),Devol Rad. & frame guards, Guts tall soft foam w/ ballistic cover, 14/52 w/DID VM X-Ring, Kouba-T,Michelin M-12's ft.& rr.,12 oz. flywheel weight, Zip-Ty Racing Link & Shark Fin, Cycra front rotor guard and T.M. Designworks Chain guide, buffer & chain wheels.

• Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted August 19, 2001 - 06:23 PM

Thanks. My bike runs much better and I'm having more fun as a result of your suggestions and research.

• aftershock

Posted August 19, 2001 - 08:43 PM

JD, I've been away from this site for awhile. I'm glad I logged on in time to say thanks for the countless hours you invested to this forum and my brain thanks you too :)

• Clark_Mason

Posted August 20, 2001 - 05:42 PM

I relly enjoyed working on jetting projects and issues with you, your complete knowledge in the area has been very beneficial and refreshing. I just picked up a new 02 KTM 520 EXC--same carb as my previous WR 400 so I already have a jetting profile in mind for this bike. KTM made the 02 RFS 4 strokes green sticker bikes in Ca. which means I can dual sport it. They accomplished this by going lean on the needle and a little lean on the pilot jet.

For the 520 Im thinking 48PJ, 1.25 turns on the fuel screw 162MJ, limiting the pump stroke from O.110" to approx 0.055" and most importantly a Yamaha 426 hard anodized OBELN needle probably in the #3 slot, which is only a 1/2 clip from the OCEMN I was experimenting with.

Good luck

• Ga426owner

Posted August 21, 2001 - 03:55 AM

James, please come back from time to time!
Your knowledge has been tremendous to me & others. We all hope you get real tired of the 2stroke orange & all that clutch fanning real soon. Take care

• Bill

Posted August 21, 2001 - 03:37 PM

Hey Clark,

Glad to see you still drop by. What did you do with the Honda? I was hoping to see pics and hear stories about Americas trickest 650. I guess I'll have to wait and hear about the Katoom :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.