CR 80/ XR 200 Conversion

14 replies to this topic
  • 2005CRF230

Posted March 08, 2005 - 06:50 PM

I have some questions about the conversion??? :) I like the idea of the XR 200 motor in a CR 80 or 85 frame. My question is can you take a stock CR frame and put a XR motor in it with just customization of the motor mounts? Or do you have to do alot of cutting and customizing to the frame itself. I see BBR and other companys have frames for this....I'm just trying to see if i can do it myself.

• BigSlim

Posted March 09, 2005 - 06:56 AM

It takes quite a bit of modification just to fit an XR100 motor in a CR frame - much more that just motor mount work. Cradle has to be completely removed and refabricated, motor mounts have to be addressed, countershaft sprocket location must be considered, airboot considerations must be made that may require more frame mods, etc., etc.
I think that the commercially available frames for the XR200 conversion are slightly longer and perhaps taller than a stock CR frame to accommodate a motor that size. There is quite a bit more to fitting that motor into the CR frame than the 100 motor from my understanding.
There are several people here that have done the conversion you are asking about, both with "factory" frames and on their own. I'm sure that they can shed more light on the complexities involved.
From what I can gather, the best route would be either a DMC or BBR kit, unless you are a really good fabricator with the right tools to do the work.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

• bianese

Posted March 09, 2005 - 08:56 AM

The above response is correct. The entire engine area has to be re-cradled, and the rear engine mounts created from scratch. Also, you will be dealing w/chrome moly tubing. It has unusual properties as far as welding it goes. I tried several times to create a full size conversion and finally did, but the time and headaches of fitment were not worth it to me. I have since purchased a BBR frame kit and created the ultimate 230. I also have two full sized CR-125s that BBR recradled for me to fit the XR-200 engines. I have one for MX and the other for enduro. The two in my garage are for sale. Good luck! Clint

• CharlieT

Posted March 09, 2005 - 10:49 AM

Try an XR200 in a CRF450 frame. Rather straightforward conversion. Have to fab front and rear mounts,buthat isn't that difficult. AIrbox mod was rather simple. do have to do a bit of "reshaping" f the downtube to get the header to clear, but not too bad of a job. Engine almost loks like it belongs in there!!

• socalxr

Posted March 09, 2005 - 10:50 AM

bianese,

Cool bikes, what's up with the one guy dissing them?? How much are you selling them for???

• 2005CRF230

Posted March 09, 2005 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll be looking into a DMC frame. I haven't been able to find much on the web for them. Does anyone know a good place to look.

• socalxr

Posted March 09, 2005 - 11:57 AM

www.socalxrs.com then click on the XRBoyz link on the left side.

• FosterChild

Posted March 09, 2005 - 01:21 PM

I have another question on the CR/XR conversion topic...

When using your donor engine, you will also have to remove all electrical components from your donor bike (wire harness, CDI module, Coil, Plug Cap, etc) to be grafted onto the CR chassis. All of the existing electrical components from the CR 85 will need to be removed. Is this correct?

I have been searching E-Bay for a XR100 or 200 engine only so I do not have to worry about selling the rolling chassis without an engine. I have seen a few engines only, but the seller is not including the wiring harness, CDI, and Coil in the sale. If my assumptions are correct, I would need to procure all of the electrical components from the seller of the engine or another seller to complete the conversion. Is this correct????

• socalxr

Posted March 09, 2005 - 02:47 PM

The electrical components can be tough to find on Ebay. Although, it might be easier now that I stop buying all of them. :) But, it's hard to get a complete system. As long as the motor comes with the stator and flywheel, everything else isn't that hard to get.

• BigSlim

Posted March 09, 2005 - 02:47 PM

You are correct. I know it may be a bit of a hassle, but I think you will come out ahead by searching hard for a good deal on an XR, taking what you need, and selling the rest. For some tips on what to look for in an XR, check www. socalxrs.com. Good people, good information.

• bianese

Posted March 09, 2005 - 05:06 PM

Thanks SoCal, I totally have enjoyed riding the air-cooled conversions for quite a while. No valve issues, ultra-light, dependable, and ripping fast too. Not sure I saw the dissing thing, musta missed it. The bikes are high dollar as you well know. 8K delivered on the modded/tricked out, BBR-230, and 5K plus shipping on the CR/XR-245cc. Clint

• socalxr

Posted March 10, 2005 - 08:07 AM

Yeah, some guy in your garage ripped on them.

• dmdbe

Posted March 27, 2011 - 10:13 AM

I know its a little off the subject but my younger son has an xr 100 that was pretty wore out but he didnt like the hit of a 2 stroke motor. I had a 85cc bike with a bad motor so I took all the suspention off of it and put it on the xr 100, swing arm,rear shock,front forks,and so on, then put a bbr 120 kit in it.This bike gives him the good suspention of a motocross bike but the smooth power of a 4 stroke.Now fabricating is my hobby and this was an indepth build but the out come was an awsome one of a kind bike. So if you have some skills and take your time there is no reason you cant get that xr200 into a cr85 frame.

• socalxr

Posted March 28, 2011 - 10:00 PM

I know its a little off the subject but my younger son has an xr 100 that was pretty wore out but he didnt like the hit of a 2 stroke motor. I had a 85cc bike with a bad motor so I took all the suspention off of it and put it on the xr 100, swing arm,rear shock,front forks,and so on, then put a bbr 120 kit in it.This bike gives him the good suspention of a motocross bike but the smooth power of a 4 stroke.Now fabricating is my hobby and this was an indepth build but the out come was an awsome one of a kind bike. So if you have some skills and take your time there is no reason you cant get that xr200 into a cr85 frame.

Post up some pics. :thumbsup: Although you know that was wayyy back in 2005.

• dmdbe

Posted March 29, 2011 - 02:32 PM

I will try to get some up soon,sorry new to the site here didnt know that had already been a topic.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1985/1984 xr200r compatability by Sebastien

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR100 Top End rebuild -need parts- by StevenOden

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Unknown Age of Bike by Wanna_Torque_About_It?

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Seal Problem by SouthShore_Boy

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Cylinder boring Question by Sebastien

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.