LTB BRP...Where are the deals?

3 replies to this topic
  • 415ZR1

Posted March 08, 2005 - 04:21 PM

Let's see if I can get a good return on my TT membership "dues"!

My trusty old '93 XR-L is gone tomorrow morning. So, looking to buy a BRP. May even spring for a new one. Found offerings for new (not "demo-ed") '05's and '04's at around $5500-$5000 out the door. Anybody know of anything around VA, PA, MD, NC, SC, TN, OH, GA? Truck is gassed up, comp time at work ready to be cashed-in!

• ImaPoser

Posted March 08, 2005 - 05:18 PM

Buy a good used one. There's tons out there with the good stuff already done to them for better prices.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted March 08, 2005 - 05:19 PM

If you don't mind a good used bike, here's a couple that I just found in the areas you listed while quickly browsing the Cycle Trader...

Check out this used 2003 for $3800 that looks pretty nice...
http://adcache.cycle.../0/78148290.htm

Here's a 2001 that was bought new in 2002 with less than 150 original miles on it for $3,500 and it's in Keswick VA :)
http://adcache.cycle.../4/77035904.htm

Here's a used Y2K in OK for $2,800 clams obo.
http://adcache.cycle.../3/78210413.htm

The XR650R hasn't changed much since it was introduced. In 2002, they updated the countershaft seal and the clutch bushing, but other than that, it's been BNG (Bold New Graphics). The 2000 & 2001's are very easy to update and the parts cost about ~$20 for both from what I recall. I can certainly understand the excitement and itch to get a new bike, but if none of these look attractive, you'll likely run on to one sooner than later that you'll like if you keep an eye on the Cycle Trader and other publications. Don't forget that those prices are asking prices and there's a good chance you'll get these bikes for less than their asking price. If the bike in VA with less than 150 miles on it was truly super clean, they might take $3K cash, which means a $2K to $2.5K savings over what you were planning to spend. Just think of all the aftermarket crap you can buy :p or you can put that money in the bank or save it for your next bike, etc. There's always a risk in buying used, but if the bike is truly a nice bike and you soon decide you don't want it, you can get out of it for a small loss as opposed to taking a much larger loss. I paid less than $3K for my last used 2001 XR650R and it still had the tits on the original tires (not even a full tank of gas run through it), so the deals are out there if you bide your time or keep your eyes open :)

• TXBRP

Posted March 09, 2005 - 07:03 PM

:) Good post. Do like qadsan says and keep your eye open for a good used one. I bought my 2001 last year for $2,800 and haven't regretted it one moment.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.