Temporary Solution - What are my options?

6 replies to this topic
  • Drusplanet

Posted March 08, 2005 - 12:36 PM

Ok, I've got to replace my Excel rear rim and spokes (specific for Talon Hub) for my '98 YZ400, but don't have the immediate cash to do it.

So I'm going to check out some local motorcycle salvage yards and shops around here to get a stock take off wheel so I can ride this weekend. Any idea what direct swaps would work? :)

Just finished the DCM upgrade and am dying to take it out this weekend.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 09, 2005 - 11:50 AM

Any wheel off of a 98-05 YZ or YZ-F 125-450 will work as long as you get the spacers also. The 01 and up YZ/YZ-F's have a wider hub than the 98-00 models do.

• myoung

Posted March 09, 2005 - 12:17 PM

It would probably be way cheaper to buy the new rim. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ISBB

Posted March 09, 2005 - 04:23 PM

Ebay???

• Drusplanet

Posted March 09, 2005 - 09:25 PM

This was a personal bike of an employee at a local Yamaha dealer that I bought it from. I bought some '05 take-offs from another guy there yesterday and then brought in the hubs/spokes/spacers today to see if it would all work.

Rumor has it (i overheard a few guys talking in the shop) that this Talon hub was for an RM, not a YZ. :) I'm guessing that's what my problem was...the hub must have been set up for a different off-set. They're calling Talon to see if it can be used with different spoke kits, etc.

I'm gonna flame if I have to get a new hub. Just finished the DCM and am dying to get out this weekend. Ugh :)

• CRFThumper

Posted March 10, 2005 - 05:32 AM

I thought the axles were different on the early yz's maybe not though :)

• myoung

Posted March 10, 2005 - 11:46 AM

This was a personal bike of an employee at a local Yamaha dealer that I bought it from. I bought some '05 take-offs from another guy there yesterday and then brought in the hubs/spokes/spacers today to see if it would all work.

Rumor has it (i overheard a few guys talking in the shop) that this Talon hub was for an RM, not a YZ. :) I'm guessing that's what my problem was...the hub must have been set up for a different off-set. They're calling Talon to see if it can be used with different spoke kits, etc.

I'm gonna flame if I have to get a new hub. Just finished the DCM and am dying to get out this weekend. Ugh :)

Funny you should mention that, I was just looking at a set of wheels made for a '98 on ebay. I did a little research to see if they would work on my '00 and no deal. Talon lists a different hub for The '98-'99 and for some reason, the side notes say you have to use an RM sprocket with it. :p Don't know what that's all about, but I would say the hub you have is for the YZ, it just needs RM parts to go with it. :D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.