Sand Tires

12 replies to this topic
  • Beef

Posted March 08, 2005 - 12:20 PM

Has anyone tried the Pirelli MT410 at the sand dunes? How do they perform compared to a "regular" paddle?

• Chills

Posted March 08, 2005 - 12:46 PM

Good Question...

Go ahead and get one and let us know. I wold be interested to find out. I have only used the King Turbo Paddle which works great. I even went to the extent to get the King Ribbed front tire and love it...Takes all the headshake out of steering when riding in the sand....

• noslo98

Posted March 08, 2005 - 04:23 PM

I have one of those kings sand ribs also that thing is awesome i will never run a dirt tire in the sand again after using it.

• 02YZ426

Posted March 08, 2005 - 04:38 PM

I tried a paddle tire for the first time 2 seasons ago. Those things are crazy in the sand! In my local area, I only have 1 track at which I can use it, But I can tell ya, I'll never go back there without it. The bike rides like a tractor runnin on NOS with that tire. I liked it so much, I even went as far as to try it in the snow. I was able to ride my bike through a 5ft snow bank on my front yard and through the entire thing across the road onto the neighbours lawn!

• kelstr

Posted March 08, 2005 - 04:47 PM

if you are going to the dunes you have to have a paddle to really have any fun and rip up the hills and bowls, a nob just wont do it.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 08, 2005 - 05:27 PM

Has anyone tried the Pirelli MT410 at the sand dunes? How do they perform compared to a "regular" paddle?

Ive been itching to try one of those. I have ran paddles and knobbies in the dunes. The paddle is obviousely better. But a good knobie isn't all that bad though. I bet that tire would do just fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted March 08, 2005 - 10:41 PM

maybe it's because i had a 739 on but i will never ride with a nobbie on in the sand again. it was just at this little sand hill at the river but i always had to keep my bike a gear higher than normal due to spinning the wheel. i still beat my buddy on his cr250 but it's just not the same.

• Chills

Posted March 09, 2005 - 08:06 AM

Depending on how much you ride at the dunes, and how hard at the dunes will really be the deciding factor for the purchase. If you just ride to the hill and watch everyone, or if you just bee-bop around sand highway and some of the smaller "Whoops" of sand, then purchasing a paddle tire is kind of useless, and using a knobby will be fine. But if your like me, and get a 4th gear pegged running start at the whoops before the hill, and like racing up the hill, or doing some major bowling, your gonna wish you had one. Most of the time when your doing some major bowl action, its all about maintaining your speed, and keeping the front tire up and riding on the sand. A regular knobby wont do that for you, matter of fact I think you will find yourself diggin a hole more often than not trying to get up to riding speed when your bowling. I sometime have problems getting started again, even with a paddle, but I sure as hell wouldnt wanna get caught without one at the bottom of a bowl...

As far as the front ribbed tire...I would recommend that thing to everyone. I rode for the first time with a front knobby and hated it. I had so much headshake, the tire seemed like it never knew which way to track, and when you get up to speed, and that tire is floating on the top of the sand, it makes for a scary ride. As soon as I put that ribbed front tire on...OMG, I fell in love. It tracks straight without headshake, 5th gear pinned across sand highway is fun, dropping into a monsterous bowl felt comfortable. I dont think I will ever ride again at the dunes without it....

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 09, 2005 - 08:33 AM

I always drop my forks in the tripple clamps so they are flush at top when heading out to the dunes. Helps imensely with the head shake.

• SkyRyder55

Posted March 09, 2005 - 03:47 PM

ive run that tire at a local sand track. deep bottomless sand. It rocks. way better than any knobby iv run. the start is grass and i pulled a holeshot with it so no problem there. but I would not use it anywhere but the sand. Will get destryed in the hard stuff.

• ISBB

Posted March 09, 2005 - 04:19 PM

kings turbo and a knobbie up front... im thinkin bout trying that kings ribbed one though... since everyone here is RAVING about it... :)

• Chills

Posted March 10, 2005 - 07:39 AM

ISBB,

Once you get pass how ugly it is, and ride with it, you will never run a knobbie in the sand again!!

• kincade

Posted March 15, 2005 - 10:38 AM

ISBB,

Once you get pass how ugly it is, and ride with it, you will never run a knobbie in the sand again!!

I'm having a hard time finding out what kind of front tire you guys are talking about??? Is it a front 'razor' tire like you see on the 4 wheelers?

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.