Tires

8 replies to this topic
  • mangler

Posted March 08, 2005 - 09:09 AM

Hey all.

Got to wring out my 05 650L this weekend, and found out right away I need to get a more aggressive tread.

I will be riding 20% road and 80% light trails and being in the Midwest MUD! and some sand. The stock tires are just awful in any mud and sand. But I also need something stable on the road.

So my question is how does the terra-flex fit in the 05 650L? I've read people have problems with the fit, and it hits the mud guard? Is the Terra-flex decent and stable on the road?

I was thinking the Pirelli MT-21 in the front and Tera-flex in the rear? Or should I stick with just a set of the Pirelli MT-21 front and rear?

I am going to Florida for a couple weeks so I will be tearing it up in the sand at Croom come July :)

Thanks in advance!
Gregg

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 08, 2005 - 09:27 AM

The Flex might hit the chain mud-guard, I took mine off before fitting the flex. I don't think the guard does much off-road.
The terrorflex is stable on the road, it just needs about 10 miles to scuff off the gooey stuff.
The Pirelli MT18HD is more aggressive than the MT21.

Dave

• mangler

Posted March 08, 2005 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have gone through tons of posts. Just can't seem to find a decent combo. I don't want to have remove stuff to get a new tire on like the tera-flex.

I just need to find a combo that can handle some road riding and still get good mud/sand traction. I don't ride extreme but still the stock tires were just horrible this last weekend on the trails.

Gregg

• justicedone

Posted March 08, 2005 - 12:51 PM

Dave has some awesome pics of his bike showing the flex fitted and compared to a stock sized tire.

I am soon to buy a new rear as well and that damn Terra looks insane. I am pretty sure I may go with that sucka just to throw some rocks about. Heres a link to buy one if you want a looksee...L8

*ps* free shipping :)

http://www.onoffroad...ory_Code=chenmx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mangler

Posted March 08, 2005 - 01:38 PM

You are right they do look awesome!

Thats why I was looking into them, and saw so many great reviews about them.

I just don't know seems there is fitting problems with the 650L and I am not so excited about taking off the mud guard to get them to fit.

I think I may end up going with a pair of the MT21's front and rear. Seems might be the best on-road off-road combo i can find.

Anyone run the MT21s front and back that can provide some insight on handling both on and off road?

Thanks guys!

Gregg

• hurricane jonny

Posted March 08, 2005 - 02:49 PM

i have heard good things about the Kenda Trackmaster II 760. And they are cheap! :)

• beachcruiser

Posted March 08, 2005 - 05:06 PM

I've been running the Terra Flex for over a year now. You can trim up the chain guard and it will clear with no problem. It has tremendous traction in mud even hard wet clay. But I will tell you DON"T THROTTLE ON HARD IN a TURN on PAVEMENT!!! This tire has twice the miles on it that the original wore out. You would think it would be noisy on the road but I still hear the front tire. The tire is larger in diameter so to get the correct ratio and clearance I dropped one tooth on front and added two on the rear. I will tell you that the chain has too have been worn/stretched some but I have over an inch clearance on the front mud guard.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 08, 2005 - 06:25 PM

I have used the MT21 front-and-rear for awhile, and it is a good combo. The 120 MT21 rear is a bit small, the 130 is a better fit for the bike and is more aggressive.

If you do a lot of trail riding (and riding without a trail!) the side mudguard proves itself to be a liability.

Dave

• mangler

Posted March 08, 2005 - 07:01 PM

Valuable input guys thanks alot!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.