HelmetCam - Need Advice...

6 replies to this topic
  • Ron_in_SoCal

Posted December 17, 2000 - 09:19 AM

Okay, I've got a helmetcam. Now I need a camcorder. Problem is I know nothing about these things.

Don't want a high end unit that stands a good chance of being submerged in a failed attempt at a deep water crossing or getting smashed to bits on a tree or rock somewhere. Don't want a super cheapo unit that has lame playback picture / sound quality. Size and ease-of-use, not to mention $$$, are major factors currently under consideration.

Anyone have experience with Hi8 vs. 8mm? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 17, 2000 - 09:42 AM

Ron,
I'm probably not much help on your question since I bought my camera a couple of years ago, but one feature mine has that would be important is the steady-cam feature to smooth out the jitters. That may be standard on all cameras for all I know. I am interested in a helmet cam also. Any tips for purchase and features?
JOHN

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted December 17, 2000 - 10:14 PM

John:

Check out http://www.helmet-camera.com

Also, the steady-cam feature is a good point. I wonder how much of a difference it makes...

Another and perhaps better helmetcam maker is cydonia located at:
http://www.helmetcams.com/cydonia.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • '00_in_Calgary

Posted December 17, 2000 - 03:44 PM

Hi there...

heeyyy.. here's a topic I can supply info on.

I use a mini cam from these folks. http://www.customvid....com/index.html
IF you end up buying one from these guys, mention my name and I get brownie points for the next time I buy. :D

For a recorder, I'm using a Canon ZR10 MiniDV camcorder. http://www.canondv.com/zr10/ It's small, has decent battery usge (2.25 hrs/ battery) and the audio/video inputs are in a handy spot.

The bit about steady-cam/anti-vibration being handy is only if you're planning on mounting the camcorder to your helmet. You could do this with a cam as small as the ZR10, but I prefer to have a less-expensive cam exposed to the elements and be recording into a camcorder in a kidney belt.

I also have a Canon GL1 and it has fantastic anti-vibration stuff, but, it's a bit bulky to haul around. IF you're looking for steady shot sort of stuff, check out the diference between optical and electronic stabilization. I prefer the optical.

Format? MiniDV is a pretty recent standard, The tapes are 1/2 the size of a 8mm handicam tape... with better quality.. ain't it always that way...

I picked this camera and format because of the IEEE1394 interface. This is also called "FireWire" It is a highspeed serial bus with a protocol for device control. It's similar to the USB concept. It makes the transfer of video from the camcorder to the 'puter quick and easy.

Do ya want to get into the editing side of things :)

• Howard_Huge

Posted December 17, 2000 - 06:31 PM

With all of us with helmet cams we should get some pretty interesting footage to say the least.

Does the anti v b a i n thing work with the
i r t o
remote lens?

I should get my helmet cam Friday word is there selling like hot cakes and with the christmas holidays mail is slloowww...

merry X-mas,huge

• Howard_Huge

Posted December 17, 2000 - 06:36 PM

Well that didn't come out right :D (anti
v b a i n) vibration yea thats it :)
i r t o

• '00_in_Calgary

Posted December 17, 2000 - 07:27 PM

Does the anti-vibration work with the remote lens. Nope. It's made to work on the primary camcorder lens. When you plug in a remote cam you are actually going into VCR mode and recording. Just like duping tapes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.