99 yz400 front fork seals

4 replies to this topic
  • brock1732

Posted March 08, 2005 - 06:18 AM

Well it looks as if my front fork seals are shot. There is a puddle of some kind of oil on my garage floor dripping off of the tire. I have the clymer manual that gives great instructions on how to fix the seals, but I was just wondering if this is normal because the guy I bought the bike from said he just replaced the seals. He also put this material stuff over them called "fork savers" Is fixing these seals going to be an expensive pain? Just wondering from you guys because I have to have the bike fixed by saturday! Thanks!

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 08, 2005 - 06:35 AM

Its not hard at all to do. Just takes a little time. My seals on my YZ400 go out all the time. I replace them yearly at least. Try sliding the dust seal down. THen take a film negative and working it in between the oil seal and the fork tube. Then work it around the seal. Sometimes there is a piece of dirt in there that you can dislodge this way. Top your oil back off and ride it.

If you are going to install the seals yourself buy a forkseal driver. You will hardly ever use it but it works sooo good when you do. Its pricy but in my eyes worth it. Otherwise find some PVC pipe that will slip over the fork tube and drive the new seals in with that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brock1732

Posted March 08, 2005 - 03:31 PM

yea it looks like the oil is leaking from the lower left fork. So I should check to see if there is any debris first? Can I buy all the parts I need to fix it from the local motorcycle shop?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 08, 2005 - 05:36 PM

yea it looks like the oil is leaking from the lower left fork. So I should check to see if there is any debris first? Can I buy all the parts I need to fix it from the local motorcycle shop?

Should be able to. All you need is oil and the seals. But you will need some sort of seal driver be it a nice bought one or a pvc home made jobby.

Its really not hard to do the seals yourself.

Here is he seal driver that you can make outta pvc
http://www.racetech....rk Seal Drivers

Then you need something to adjust the oil height.
http://www.racetech.... Oil Level Tool

I made one out of a 12" piece of brake line, some fish tank air tube, a scrynge, and a washer and 2 o-rings to set the oil height. works great.

The washer with an o-ring on each side slides up and down the brake line to set the oil height. YOu set the line in the fork up to the washer and suck out the extra oil with the scringe attached to the brake line with the air tube.

Did that make any sence?

• elburro

Posted March 08, 2005 - 08:02 PM

If you plan on having dirtbikes and riding them often then replace the seals yourself. the first time take it slow and learn the process, after that it's simple and fairly quick. If you're rich, then pay someone to do it everytime!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.