What's the proper way to remove and install valve guides?

6 replies to this topic
  • nicknovice

Posted March 08, 2005 - 06:08 AM

what proceedure do you high tech guys do to remove and install valve guides? i have -80 degree freezers here at work i could throw the guides in. i figure with a little heat on the head and they would go in fairly easy. is this a correct assumption? how do you properly remove them? i won't hammer them out. please enlighten me on the proper methods. or, should i have the dude that is going to cut my seats install them? that's my last resort as i am broke/cheap and do everything myself that i can w/o risking the hp or reliability. thanks.

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted March 08, 2005 - 07:05 AM

i strongly suggest you have someone familiar with the process do it.

• FasterNU

Posted March 08, 2005 - 09:06 AM

hey, just for poops n giggles .... what is the general procedure??

• kelstr

Posted March 08, 2005 - 02:03 PM

well i have made up a jig that has worked for years on all kinds of heads,--i warm the head up to 450 and place it in the press on my holder jig and they push right out,------yamaha would tell us to just warm up the head and drive them out with a hammer and a little home made punch that fit the inside and rested on the out side of the guide and i have made lots of these drivers and change alot of guides like this and never had a problem. :) :) chevy guids on big blocks are changed this way also,---where as the small block iron heads you have to cut them out because they are part of the head, --but the aluminum heads on small blocks just drive out also. :p

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted March 08, 2005 - 02:13 PM

i have a old oven i use to heat the head up.sometimes they come right out.sometimes you have the drive them out.

new guides chilled should slip right in.should.soemtimes its a big pain.

its extremely easy to ruin a head.

if i had a crf head that needed guides i would buy a new head.honda heads are pretty cheap.

• FasterNU

Posted March 08, 2005 - 03:20 PM

thanks. Learning is fun.

I figured that was the procedure because i called RHC one day and he was in the middle of it.... said he had some hot heads.... put the phone down and I think I heard him banging them out.

• Rich_Rohrich

Posted March 08, 2005 - 03:30 PM

what proceedure do you high tech guys do to remove and install valve guides? i have -80 degree freezers here at work i could throw the guides in. i figure with a little heat on the head and they would go in fairly easy. is this a correct assumption? how do you properly remove them? i won't hammer them out. please enlighten me on the proper methods. or, should i have the dude that is going to cut my seats install them? that's my last resort as i am broke/cheap and do everything myself that i can w/o risking the hp or reliability. thanks.

Heating the head and using a soft metal pilot/punch like bronze is the proper removal method. It's important to keep the overall head temp below about 275 degrees F or you risk having the valve seats fall out (usually in the 350F + range) . Reheating the head and freezing the guides along with an anti-gall lubricant the proper method for reinstall. It's important to keep in mind that the CRF doesn't have a positive stop like most valve guides, so you have to make up a fixture with a dial indicator to ensure that the guide is sunk to the proper depth.

The good news is the guides rarely wear out in the CRFs so it's unlikely that you'll have to change them any time soon. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

My New Project '08 Build by mrmoto35

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Please help , this is my first post. Carb issues? by cjr19543

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 outdoor motocross predictions by ImAHondaMan

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  67 replies
Forums
Photo

2003 crf450r by bain33

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

2007 crf450 stuck in gear by Jackthomas1989

• Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.