Street Legal YZ426/its almost done!

38 replies to this topic
  • 02YZ426

Posted March 07, 2005 - 07:52 PM

Here is a pic of my street conversion for my 2002 YZ426 http://i2.photobucke...26/100_0523.jpg Its not finished yet but its getting closer. I just installed the hotcam, White brothers E series muffler is on order and I am still looking for some supermoto wheels for it. Anyone have a set they will part with? OR know where to get a new set for a reasonable price? I would prefer to buy them already laced with hubs.

• Drusplanet

Posted March 07, 2005 - 10:22 PM

Can you post what and where you got your upgrades? I'm interested in doing this as well. i.e. Flywheel, stator, brake light/fender, etc. Looks good so far.

• rebel1916

Posted March 08, 2005 - 04:31 AM

where did you get that headlight setup. its pretty damn hot

• 02YZ426

Posted March 08, 2005 - 02:56 PM

I put the L38 Stator in from Electrex USA and it uses your stock flywheel. The power output is rated at 45watts but I think it does better than that because it runs my lighting real good. I put the UFO Oklahoma handguards on so I wouldnt need any bulky turn signals, the headlight is a UFO Twins, The taillight is Acrebis LED, Rear turn Signals are off a crotch-rocket, The switch for the lights/signals is aftermarket from Tucker Rocky I believe, the brake switch can be found at any dealer (get the one that bolts on to the rear master cyclindar. I also did the Hotcam upgrade which is great for on-road, and I just got my White Brothers E Series exhaust which I am putting on this weekend. Now if I could just get my hands on some supermoto wheels this bike will be Just about finished. The tires that are on it right now are not street legal, so thats really the only thing left before I can ride it on the street. I cant wait to take it for a ride on the road LEAGLY for the first time. There is a few good riding spots from my house that I will be able to ride to now, instead of trailering it.

• 02YZ426

Posted March 08, 2005 - 03:03 PM

From the pic you might have noticed that I dont have any rear number plates. My stock ones were to beat up to put back on with the new graphics kit. What do you guys think, put new white ones on, or put the black ones on? I am tempted to go with the black but Im not sure if it would look out of place or not.

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted March 08, 2005 - 03:15 PM

bike looks really nice. i think that black number plates would be ok but so would white ones.

also, how do you like your rear sprocket?

• 02YZ426

Posted March 08, 2005 - 04:20 PM

I really like the rear sprocket. I cant remember who makes it but Its a 2 piece that has an aluminum core with metal teeth. Its held up longer than any other Ive tried yet, Ive found that the aluminum sprockets are good, light, but dont last an entire season and the steels are heavy but last a long time. I guess its the best of both worlds, Light and strong. Im going out to the garage a bit later, I will post the make and teeth count later on tonight.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 08, 2005 - 05:34 PM

I pieced together a dual sport kit for my yz400 similar to what you did. I did the 45w coil just like you. But in the end I bought the Wr stator / flywheel kit from electrex for an extra $100. The diferance in lighting is huge. If you never want to ride at night or at least not very often then maybe you can get by on the 45w setup. But that 130 watt stator pushes 2 50watt bulbs in my blitz easily. Huge light.

• 02YZ426

Posted March 08, 2005 - 05:59 PM

I pieced together a dual sport kit for my yz400 similar to what you did. I did the 45w coil just like you. But in the end I bought the Wr stator / flywheel kit from electrex for an extra $100. The diferance in lighting is huge. If you never want to ride at night or at least not very often then maybe you can get by on the 45w setup. But that 130 watt stator pushes 2 50watt bulbs in my blitz easily. Huge light.

Did you end up having to buy the whole flywheel/stator or did you just buy the WR flywheel and add it to you L38? You must be running alot more wattage than me to need that new system? I am using LED lights in my turn signals/brake light and Ive found that the lights are pretty bright. By saving power using LEDs there was more than enough power for the headlight, altough it flickers at idle, its bright on the RPM. What kind of lights are you running?

• Buckwheat816

Posted March 08, 2005 - 06:38 PM

I think blue side plates would look best since your headlight is blue. Sharp machine....well done!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted March 08, 2005 - 06:40 PM

thanks! Actually now that you mention it.. the blue would probably look better

• elburro

Posted March 08, 2005 - 07:47 PM

great looking bike. Yes ,blue side plates would look the best. What about a mirror, or do you need one?

• 02YZ426

Posted March 08, 2005 - 08:06 PM

Ya.. I still need a mirror, Im picky so Im holding out for the right one. I havnt found a good looking one yet. I also still need the horn.

• elburro

Posted March 08, 2005 - 08:11 PM

My last enduro bike had a mirror mounted so that you looked under your arm. I liked it because it didn't stand out or get hit by limbs. good luck.

• Davidyz450

Posted March 08, 2005 - 10:20 PM

What about a kick stand? Well I guess you could just lean it against someone's car! :)

• benuk

Posted March 09, 2005 - 03:20 AM

thinking of putting mine on the road they look well trick in the summer :)
nice bike mate :)

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 09, 2005 - 04:47 AM

Did you end up having to buy the whole flywheel/stator or did you just buy the WR flywheel and add it to you L38? You must be running alot more wattage than me to need that new system? I am using LED lights in my turn signals/brake light and Ive found that the lights are pretty bright. By saving power using LEDs there was more than enough power for the headlight, altough it flickers at idle, its bright on the RPM. What kind of lights are you running?

You need to get the WR flywheel with the wr stator. The stator comes with the backer plate unlike the 45w one. The WR setup one puts out 130 watts I believe.

I dont have blinkers so that isn't a power issue. All I have is a ufo tailight and the Acerbis Blitz headlight. The blitz used MR-16 halogen bulbs. Probably the same as what yours uses. I wired the headlight so both bulbs are on at the same time. Then upgraded the bulbs to 50 watters in place of the stock 35watt ones. 100 watts of light is NICE....

Do you have a voltage reguator wired into your lighting system? If not they are cheep and easy to install.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 09, 2005 - 04:51 AM

Try this for a horn. Its a radio shack personal alarm and a Honda kill switch. I think I have maybe $20 into it. It runs off a 9v battery. Its not entirely waterproof. But even after a soaking it usually comes back to life in a day of so.

THe alarm has a laynard that you pull out to make it go off. Inside is 2 metal tabs that make contact with each other when you pull that teather out. There are wires on these tabs. Cut the tabs off and solder the kill switch to the wires. Works great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 02YZ426

Posted March 09, 2005 - 02:45 PM

Try this for a horn. Its a radio shack personal alarm and a Honda kill switch. I think I have maybe $20 into it. It runs off a 9v battery. Its not entirely waterproof. But even after a soaking it usually comes back to life in a day of so.

THe alarm has a laynard that you pull out to make it go off. Inside is 2 metal tabs that make contact with each other when you pull that teather out. There are wires on these tabs. Cut the tabs off and solder the kill switch to the wires. Works great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Does this alarm sound like a horn? and where did you mount it?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 09, 2005 - 06:07 PM

No it sounds like a squeeling chirping bird.....But its loud.

I just zip ties the horn behind the numberplate somewere or to the fork tube between the clamps.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.