Chain Tension

5 replies to this topic
  • dunecj2a

Posted March 07, 2005 - 07:41 PM

I just replaced my chain and noticed there is a tight spot on it when you turn the wheel. I set the adjustment on it and spun the wheel and noticed that it gets loose and really tight with no slack. The loose spot is the correct adjustment. The front and rear sprockets are not worn out. My old clapped out chain did the same thing, thats why I tossed it. Are the sprockets worn weird even thougth the teeth are fine?

• DigilubeJay

Posted March 09, 2005 - 02:06 AM

Yes, you could have damaged, or non-concentric sprockets.
Be certain you know what "correct" tension is first thing. If you ride the bike before you get new sprockets, be certain you readjust the tension so the correct tension is at the tightest spot of the chain. If you have correct tension at the loose point, you could be damaging your drive.

Be aware that you cannot adjust to proper tension unless you have the swingarm in a straight line with the front and rear shafts.

• curtains23

Posted March 09, 2005 - 03:21 AM

For the cost, you should change sprockets and chain together, anything else is just
false economy..with your new chain on pull the chain by hand rearwards from the rear sprocket, with new there should be a small amount of movement this shows the wear on the sprocket,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted March 09, 2005 - 03:46 AM

The sprockets could be worn, but in reality this is most likely the fault of the chain. Contrary to popular belief, chains are not perfect and yes when you spin the wheel the chain will be tighter in some spots than others. Some chains are worse with this than others, but in general this is normal. When you set the chain tension, set it at the TIGHTEST SPOT! If you set it at the loosest spot then you might be buying yourself a new hub soon. Check the manual, I believe it referrs to this.

• dirt_pilot

Posted March 09, 2005 - 07:43 AM

If the chain goes from correct adjustment at the loose spot to "really tight with no slack" and then back then something is definately wrong. You should be able to see visually if a chainring is that out of round. Maybe the chain is hanging up on something, does the wheel roll smooth? Change the sprockets with the chain for sure, you get the best wear out of your stuff that way.

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2005 - 08:56 AM

If the rear sprocket is at fault, the tight spot will coincide with a single point in the rotation of the wheel. If it's the chain, it wil be one or more places in the chain.

Find the tight spot, and mark the rear sprocket and the chain. Rotate until you find the tight spot again, and see which mark has returned to its original position.

It might be difficult to believe, but stepping up to a really good, high quality chain like the Regina O-ring can be worth doing for a lot of reasons.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.