What to buy: KDX220 or WR400-426 ???

7 replies to this topic
  • cayenneguy

Posted March 07, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Hi guys,

I live near Montreal in Canada and have been riding sport bikes for almost 10 years. I have now decided to get into enduro riding/amateur racing. I am currently shopping for a used motorcycle and need some advice.

I am 6.2" and weight 230 pounds but haven't actively riden a dirt bike in approx. 10 years. however, I do not want to be tired of a smaller displacement bike after one month.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks for your help.

Cayenneguy

• kirkw

Posted March 07, 2005 - 08:05 PM

I think that you will be sorely dissapointed with the 220 given your physical attributes (like mine) as well as the fact that youa re already experienced on other bikes. Unless you intend to solely ride very tight single track, which is about the only palce a KDX might stand a chance at keeping up with a WR 400 or bigger, the WRs outshine them by a long shot. The powerband is much mroe linear and usable and will suit your perforamnce needs for a much longer time.

• cayenneguy

Posted March 07, 2005 - 08:12 PM

I will for the most part be riding enduro rides and might participate in the odd amateur race but don't think it'll be on very tight tracks.

Is there anything I need to watch for if I were to purchase a used WR400 or 426 ? I have two I will be hopefully be seeing this week: one at a dealer 1999 WR400 for $2900 US and a private 2000 WR400 for $2850 US.

Does that sound reasonable ?

• Gadsen

Posted March 07, 2005 - 08:28 PM

Well, I've had both the KDX 220 which I bought new back in 01, and I also owned a 2001 WR426. The KDX for what it is, is a real nice trail bike and can be pumped up a little. Its made for trail riding. Its a 2 stroke set up to give you a lot more low end power compared to most 2 strokes. The 400/426 will give you gobs of power. In tight trails, it would be hard to shake a KDX, but in the straights or open areas, the big thumper will pull away with ease. A drawback to a used older 4 stroke is wear? 5 valved thumpers are spendy when it comes to engine work. Just look it over well. Run through the gears, make sure it doesnt pop out of gear etc. I'd say either could work for you. It will come down to your preference and what you really plan on doing. KDX is also much lighter (223 lbs) than the 426 which I think was closer to 250lbs. I now have a WR450 and sold my KDX and would not go back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sylvain

Posted March 08, 2005 - 06:57 AM

Salut

Where near Montreal do you live ? I'm on the south shore in Verchères. After near 20 years without riding a dirt bike I decided to do it again. My choice was a brand new wr 426 :) The only time I regret it is when I can't hold the bars anymore that I have to stop and rest :D .

At your size you will be at ease with the bike, and toyota_mdt_tech sums it up pretty well about the KDX/WR differences. And between a 400 or the 426, I would go for the latest edition of the wr 426, preferably the 2002. :D .

A wr 426 with the ergos of the YZ and an acerbis 3.4 gallon tank is the hot set up. There are a lot of mods you can do on that bike to make it nimbler on a tight trail, but it will still rip your arms off when you whack open the throttle. :) . Your skills will get better and this bike will stay with you.

I do MX track, trail rides, muddy trail rides and very muddy trail rides :o . The weight of the bike only shows when you have to wrestle it out of mud holes. And you notice how light your Friend's mx bikes are when you try each other's machine. But nothing is perfect :p .

• Math

Posted March 08, 2005 - 06:29 PM

Hi guys,

I live near Montreal in Canada and have been riding sport bikes for almost 10 years. I have now decided to get into enduro riding/amateur racing. I am currently shopping for a used motorcycle and need some advice.

I am 6.2" and weight 230 pounds but haven't actively riden a dirt bike in approx. 10 years. however, I do not want to be tired of a smaller displacement bike after one month.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks for your help.

Cayenneguy

I would say the KDX is not a race bike in any way. Don't get me wrong, I've owned 2 KDX in my life and I liked them a lot. I remember the face of my friends when I was the first grin on the top of those tight technical rocky and woody climbs :) .

The point with the KDX is that it suffers the same thing as the now dead XR400 has suffered now for so long. It is somewhat outdated on many domains. I think it is way inferior to a KTM 200 EXC 2 stroke in every domain :) ( except the comfort of the stock seat :p ). The suspension is too soft for what you're gonna ask (specially at your weight), the engine is weak compared to a 250 2smoke and/or a 426. Just have a look at the size of the frame of these two bikes side by side and tell me what you think...

Overall, the KDX is an excellent tight and technical trail bike but if you want power, recent suspension technology and so on, you'll have to go with the WR. As I said previously, if you want to compare the WR to a 2 stroke enduro bike, you'd better compare it with a 200 or even 250 EXC from KTM.

Hope this help. Keep Sylvain and I posted about your precise location, where you ride and so on!

Later,

• Scotty426

Posted March 09, 2005 - 07:13 AM

I own both as well and I,m about your size. The Kawi 220 will have grunt but no rev in stock trim. To make good power w/rev it needs a pipe, nice muffler and the carb boared to 36 mm. After that, it's got superb, reliable trail power. It wont drag race my beloved 426, but it's fine in the woods. The thumper is more intuitive to ride when you adjust to the weight. It has pull about everywhere and more range of gear. The other thing about the Yammi is your not fiddling with it. My KDX is great but always seems to want some small adjustment to it, nothing serious, just small adjustments. If you can ride a 2 stroke fast, you can ride a 4 stroke fast. Having said that, I ride really tight woods with the Yammer and it turns fine as well. Pick one, get used to it and either would do you. I feel like my 426 has more room to grow with my skill level. Both of them make me giggle, but that Yamaha's power is intoxicating.

• SPUTTER

Posted March 09, 2005 - 03:28 PM

I owned both the 02 WR426 and a pumped-up and suspension-moded KDX220 at the same time. The 02 WR has a very good off-road suspension - that the KDX cannot, even when modified, match - even for slower single track work. The KDX is a small-rider bike and is great for breaking toes on rocks or roots - the ground clearance is just not enough for aggressive riding in rough terrain IMO.
If you get a good WR426, put in the 03 YZ auto-decompression cam, it raises the bike to a whole new level for riding ease and better off-road power. BTW I still have the WR.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.