Funny oil film coming from my head gasket

2 replies to this topic
  • brady-yzf

Posted March 07, 2005 - 05:50 PM

I have an '03 yzf450 and I just noticed a thin film of oil on the outside of the engine body, it seems to be coming from the head gasket, maybe the cylinder base gasket. I notice no oil in the coolant, nor coolant in the oil. The bike doesn't seem to be running any hotter than normal, either. I was wondering if this is something I need to tend to immediately, or if it can wait till I'm doing something like replacing the valves. Any input would be appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tnl

Posted March 07, 2005 - 06:40 PM

I get some residue build up of something that looks like carbon or ? from my bike from this location: http://img.photobuck...nl/MVC-018S.jpg Let me know if it's the same spot.

• brady-yzf

Posted March 08, 2005 - 07:26 AM

Not quite the same place. I think your build up is from the oil-pressure-check screw right above your build up. The manual says you should loosen that screw after oil changes to make sure the head is getting pressure. My oil film is definitely from the gasket, I just don't know how imperative it is that I fix it quick. I did just tear my ACL, so I may be looking for maintenance projects, anyways.
Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.