Trailtech/GPS set up

15 replies to this topic
  • eruption

Posted March 07, 2005 - 03:26 PM

Well I finally got my GPS mounted the way I wanted with the Touratech mount. I used a 10" ATV bar pad to cover the rest of the cross bar. I also made a mounting plate out of aluminum to mount the trail tech speedometer so that it mounted in the middle instead of getting in the way of my ignition button. The whole set up works great and my Vista C does not shut off even in the roughest trails. :)

Here is a pic of my set up
http://img.photobuck...Raptor/dash.jpg

• ddialogue

Posted March 07, 2005 - 04:57 PM

Looks good.

Have you put any thought into how to keep water/dirt out of the USB connector while it's on the bike?

• doctorchopper

Posted March 08, 2005 - 11:23 AM

That looks great, I also made a bracket for my trailtech, i made it so i use the foreward two bolts that hold the bars on, works great.

• eruption

Posted March 08, 2005 - 01:01 PM

I don't have it hard wired into the bike so the usb connection is not exposed and if it gets too nasty I will remove it and put it on my camelbac. Basically where I ride dust is the main problem. Thanks for the compliments!

• JMathis

Posted March 08, 2005 - 07:35 PM

What kind of mount is that you are using for the GPS?

• PBDBLUE

Posted March 08, 2005 - 09:09 PM

This is the setup I use on my dual sport WR426. Works out well and so far has proven pretty rugged. I have an external antenna mounted on the rear fender. Now I just have to figure out where to mount the DVD player :)

http://pg.photos.yah...684.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yah...1b0.jpg&.src=ph

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 09, 2005 - 04:41 AM

Wow that is quite the Dashboard set up! :)

• martymart

Posted March 09, 2005 - 08:10 AM

I like the way you mounted the GPS to the handlebars. I went to Touratech website and was blown away at how much they want, around $100. I did a bit more searching and RAM sells a similiar mount for $39. What I could not find on either site was a mount that connects directly to the handlebar without any moveable arms. I like the way you have yours setup, directly on the handle bar without the cluter. May you provide me the model number and price?

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 09, 2005 - 10:34 AM

Very nice... I just ordered the Ram mount for my 60c.
Forget about the MP3 player, how about satellite radio? :)

• PBDBLUE

Posted March 09, 2005 - 12:35 PM

Actually I used the short arm to mount the GPS. I'll post the part #'s and a better photo when I get home tonight.

• eruption

Posted March 09, 2005 - 01:08 PM

What kind of mount is that you are using for the GPS?

It is a Touratech. It was expensive but it is very well made.

Touratech-USA

• eruption

Posted March 09, 2005 - 01:11 PM

I like the way you mounted the GPS to the handlebars. I went to Touratech website and was blown away at how much they want, around $100. I did a bit more searching and RAM sells a similiar mount for $39. What I could not find on either site was a mount that connects directly to the handlebar without any moveable arms. I like the way you have yours setup, directly on the handle bar without the cluter. May you provide me the model number and price?

Thanks

This is the website I got it from.....

Touratech-USA

• JeffWR

Posted March 09, 2005 - 05:42 PM

Nice pic! This is off topic but I am interested in what hand guards you got to fit on your '05?
Thanks for your help, Jeff

• eruption

Posted March 10, 2005 - 12:59 PM

Nice pic! This is off topic but I am interested in what hand guards you got to fit on your '05?
Thanks for your help, Jeff

Acerbis : Rally II Handguards I got them at Rocky Mountain MC

• draver

Posted March 11, 2005 - 05:26 AM

Here's another company that makes GPS mounts for vehicles. I've bought two different ones for my Ipaq mount and they are incredibly sturdy and well engineered. I suspect they are a spinoff of a military contract and may actually be bulletproof! (Slight exaggeration)

Anyway, several styles and many brand applications, the link below is for the Etrex, but nose around the site and you'll probably find a product for your needs.

One more thing, you can buy the individual pieces of each assembly, so to switch from vehicle to vehicle you only need to buy a spare mount, not the whole ball of wax.

http://www.mobilecx....lts.php?uid=261

Dale
2005 WR450FT

• ddialogue

Posted March 11, 2005 - 08:03 AM

Here's another company that makes GPS mounts for vehicles. I've bought two different ones for my Ipaq mount and they are incredibly sturdy and well engineered. I suspect they are a spinoff of a military contract and may actually be bulletproof! (Slight exaggeration)

Anyway, several styles and many brand applications, the link below is for the Etrex, but nose around the site and you'll probably find a product for your needs.

One more thing, you can buy the individual pieces of each assembly, so to switch from vehicle to vehicle you only need to buy a spare mount, not the whole ball of wax.

http://www.mobilecx....lts.php?uid=261

Dale
2005 WR450FT

Those look EXACTLY like RAM mounts (probably built by RAM.) :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.