04 450 Suspension Setup

10 replies to this topic
  • GENE426

Posted March 07, 2005 - 11:06 AM

I HAVE A 2004 YZ450 AND I CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE SUSPENSION SETUP RIGHT.
I AM A NOVICE RIDER AT CYCLERANCH (WWW.CYCLERANCHMX.COM) AND NEED SOME HELP. IT SEEM LIKE THE SUSPENSION IS TO HARSH, I HAVE ALL THE CLICKERS SET AT 11 CLICKS OUT. I WEIGH 205 LBS AND I HAVE MESSED WITH IT BACK AND FORTH BUT JUST CAN NOT GET IT RIGHT.
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS THE BEST (CORRECT) POSITION FOR THE SETUP?
HOW MANY CLICK IN OR OUT ON THE SUSPENSION
THANKS FOR ANY HELP YA CAN GIVE ME

:p :D :D :o
:) :) ;) :D

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2005 - 01:20 PM

First, let's get off the caps lock key, shall we? Poor posting etiquette.

Second, be sure your springs are heavy enough for your weight. Too low a spring rate puts too much of the compression load on the dampers, so they end up feeling harsh. It's the most important part of setting up your suspension.

I'm about 190 in street clothes, and I run .48 front springs and a 5.8 rear.

Use the method of comparing race sag to static sag to check your rear spring rate.
How to set your race sag

Use race sag to check your spring rate

Try this info to get you started on damper settings: MX Tech Tuning Page

Also consider a sub tank setup. Too Tech, Enzo, and others sell them, but you can make your own, as I did. Sub Tank

Good Luck :)

• GENE426

Posted March 07, 2005 - 01:31 PM

Sorry About The Caps But Im A Architect / Contractor And Alway Print In Caps It Ususally Changes It In The Quick Reply Box
I Have The Race Sag Set Right Just On Breaking Bumps And Rollers The Bike Is Rough
Over Jumps And Off Cambers Its Great
What Do You Have Your Clickers Set At?
Top Fork Bottom Fork Top And Bottom Rear?
Im Going To Get Pro Action In Austin To Do My Suspensio Soon But For Now I Need A Little Help

Thanks
Gene

• Chazlom

Posted March 07, 2005 - 09:04 PM

I'm not sure about your suspension, but the way you Cap the first letter of every word is impressive!

I have Enzo w/subs, sprung for my weight, followed there tuning suggestions and my suspension is awesome! Who ever does your suspension should ask your riding style and type of riding you do, along with your weight and that’s important to the end result you’re looking for.
Mine is specific to the track I ride most (Glen Helen) along with the type (fast long motocross events) and it really works well.

• mx_crash

Posted March 08, 2005 - 03:46 AM

Amazing you say it's great over jumps, I weigh 85 kg and the mine was blowing thru the stroke on flat dropoffs and large jumps, this was with the fork comp set at 5 out and the oil height at 95mm. A modified cylinder valve and revalve (to suit the new c.v) and the forks are great everywhere with the comp set at 9 out.
Do some searching around on the web re cylinder valves and kyb forks and you should find they are the major cause of fork probs with kyb's from about 96-04. I have mag with a great article that includes a pic showing how much they leak. Unfortunately when the aticle was printer I was running a cr250 so ignored it, only to discover it when the missus asked me to clean up my mag collection after some 4 mths of suffering with my forks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GENE426

Posted March 08, 2005 - 05:49 AM

For motocross guys ya'll sure pay alot of attention to how the hell I type.
I'm more worried about my suspension and when the next race is. So to attend my weekly typing class is not top on my list, again my apologies for my incorrect typing skills I'll let my secretary know who im sure is well aware of it already.
back to suspension, I dont want sub tanks right now, I just want to know where is a good place to start with the clickers
and CHAZ i did include my weight and riding skill and the track i ride at with pics of it

THANKS
gEnE

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2005 - 09:07 AM

I can give you my settings, but they won't do anything meaningful for you since my suspension has been revalved, my springs changed, my weight is different, and I have a sub tank.

Your best bet is to go through the links I posted, starting with the sag settings. It takes you through the basic procedure. There's more info on the Too Tech site as well. Unfortunately, that's as close to a starting point as I can offer. It's you and your bike and your riding style you're adjusting for. You are going to have to be the one who does it. It takes a while, but it's not that hard.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 08, 2005 - 11:27 AM

For motocross guys ya'll sure pay alot of attention to how the hell I type.
I'm more worried about my suspension and when the next race is. So to attend my weekly typing class is not top on my list, again my apologies for my incorrect typing skills I'll let my secretary know who im sure is well aware of it already.
back to suspension, I dont want sub tanks right now, I just want to know where is a good place to start with the clickers
and CHAZ i did include my weight and riding skill and the track i ride at with pics of it

THANKS
gEnE

gEnE.....I won't blast you for your typing skills, if you don't blast me for my advice!
You may want to add 10cc's of fork oil to each fork and then test - this will help a bunch - add more until it feels right in 5cc or 10cc increments.
If your forks are stock and have not been serviced - you can go with 90-100mm range for the oil level - this will help/ Do the shock also... Consider at least .47kg front and 5.5kg rear springs for your weight...revalve if you want or go all the way with full suspension service. Enzo is the best...for kyb in my opinion...pro action is all right, as well as the others.
I kept the stock springs initially with Race Tech -Gold Valves and oil levels mentioned above - it was ok but over time I needed more, better, compliancy in my suspension (ENZO) - it makes you a better more confident rider

hope this helps

David

• Joe_Jet

Posted March 09, 2005 - 08:01 AM

Chazlom:

I'm also riding a 04 YZ450

Did you have Enzo revalve your shock? If so, was it a noticeable improvement? The forks work really well for me, but the shock is a little harsh over breaking bumps and accel chop. I may have more break-in to do as my bike only has 1.5 hours on it.

So far I've had the bike at Starwest, Cahuilla, and hittin Elsinore this afternoon. I'm going to start over on the rear set-up. I reset the rear clickers to STD per the manual, HS 1 1/6, LS 11, RB 12.

• GENE426

Posted March 09, 2005 - 08:17 AM

Nope Stone Stock But This Summer Will Have Pro Action In Austin Do It
Im Just Trying To Get By Until I Have Time To Make The Trip And No Racing Is Happening

• Sparky_So_Cal

Posted March 09, 2005 - 08:32 AM

This is always what has worked for me.

1. Set your sag as prescribed earleir
2. Play w/ your fork compression first. If your not bottoming on jumps ect.. remove compression clicks (2 at a time) and do a few laps. If you start to notice bottoming, and it's uncomfortable in your arms or wrists, you have gone to far.

3. From that point, if your front end is still to harsh, your forks might be "packing". Packing is the result of having to much fork rebound (to slow) and in the small stuff (breaking bumps, accel bumps ect..) your slow rebound inhibits the fork from seperating. So as your passing through the small stuff, your fork is actually working in the stiffer part of the stroke and not in the top of the stroke. To correct this, remove rebound (make it faster) 2 clicks at at time.

Try to take down a few notes as your go through the day. Take a day to set up your bike and play w/ the suspenion. Try to not do it at the end of the day, as you will be physically waisted and might not be able to discern any noticable difference.

Hope this helps,

Sparkey

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.