Pro Moto Billet Silent Insert

27 replies to this topic
  • MortgageRider

Posted March 08, 2005 - 04:59 PM

timcook,

The interior baffles do not get removed, only the end pipe. The advantage is a bigger diamiter(sp) end pipe from the spark arrestor to the end cap. I got my YZ pipe from my brother-in-law he replaced with after market. Check ebay or post in the YZ forum for someone doing the same.

Brett

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 08, 2005 - 08:42 PM

Thanks Rick, I am starting to understand now.

• Jackazz

Posted March 09, 2005 - 07:44 AM

...I still am not sure what the YZ pipe cost. Has anyone purchased one lately? If so cost? Performance gains????

If you need a spark arrestor and/or need to meet db restrictions, I'd get the PMB insert for the stock can, because:

Stock YZ can (no SA, loud) ~ $75-$100 depending on year & condition.
PMB end cap with SA ~ $125
PMB "silent" insert ~ $40

or:

PMB insert for '98-'04 WR ~ $40
PMB insert for '05 WR ~ $60

Now, having said all that, the areas I ride, db & SA requirements are not a problem, so I run a stock YZ canister with no modifications. The increase in power is noticable across the board & it has a nice bark to it without being rediculously loud. I paid $85 shipped for it on e-bay. :)

• Rooster426

Posted March 09, 2005 - 09:52 AM

I just put the FMF "Q" pipe on. Before I was running the stock exhuast, with the silent insert. Basically I should've stuck with the insert $40 vs $255(had hookup for the Q). I can barely notice any significant difference. The sound is virtually identical, FMF maybe slightly quieter. But $40 vs. $300+ do the math....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 09, 2005 - 10:43 AM

I just put the FMF "Q" pipe on. Before I was running the stock exhuast, with the silent insert. Basically I should've stuck with the insert $40 vs $255(had hookup for the Q). I can barely notice any significant difference. The sound is virtually identical, FMF maybe slightly quieter. But $40 vs. $300+ do the math....

That's because the stock 01 WR426 exhaust is actually pretty nice, free flowing design with no odd baffles or tubes. Much nicer than the stock 05 exhaust.

• jwriott

Posted March 09, 2005 - 10:52 AM

Rooster426, have you rejetted when you switched to the FMF Q? I had the same setup and initially ran the stock can wide open. Then I bought the GYRT insert which is a total POS and then the PMB insert. The PMB was better than the GYRT but the bike still ran hot.

I then bought an FMF Q and had to rejet which gave the bike more power. Basically back to the same jetting I ran with the open stock exhaust. I had to lean the bike out to run either the GYRT or the PMB.

• Rooster426

Posted March 09, 2005 - 11:21 AM

I havn't re-jetted yet, I was curious to see if I would have too, bike seems to run great. Actually when I would run the stock with no insert, I would get a lot of backfire when I let off the throttle. The bike seems to like having more backpressure.

• jwriott

Posted March 09, 2005 - 11:51 AM

I havn't re-jetted yet, I was curious to see if I would have too, bike seems to run great. Actually when I would run the stock with no insert, I would get a lot of backfire when I let off the throttle. The bike seems to like having more backpressure.

I'd say you needed to richen up the jetting to compliment the greater airflow.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.