Chevron DELO 400 Oil No Longer Compatible with Wet Clutches

4 replies to this topic
  • youngwerth

Posted March 07, 2005 - 08:35 AM

Please click here for info:

Delo 400 Thread

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 07, 2005 - 08:45 AM

So this is going to be industry wide with the new CI-4 spec? Is this just for diesel oils? How about the new Mobil 1 "red cap?" Have you done any testing using this oil yet?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted March 07, 2005 - 11:59 AM

This is an individual decision by Chevron and it's possible that other similar products rated for CI-4 might also adopt this same strategy, but unless you have your oil analyzed, you'll never truly know when formulation changes occur. The safest bet is to use a motorcycle specific oil (JASI MA rated) and then you don't have to worry.

All my red cap data is close to a year old and probably won't be represenative of what's out there today. I used to have numerous oils analyzed and learned some very good info, but sometimes you're chasing a moving target and Delo among other oils has changed a couple times in the last couple years.

Depending on the type of Moly being used, it may or may not be harmful to wet clutches and I think the 260ppm concentration being used is questionable as to whether it will definitely cause problems or not (less moly would be preferred), but I don't have any experience with their new product and probably won't for some time to come. Most people hear the word moly and automatically think it's a bad thing for wet clutches, but I disagree. The old school large particle solid type moly is something I wouldn't use with wet clutch applications, but things have been changing over the years.

I've run Schaeffers Micron Moly Racing oil in various 4 stroke wet clutch applications with 'EXCELLENT' results (with and without my Rekluse z-Start) and positively had no clutch slipping issues, but it uses MoTDC (molybdenum trialkyldithiocarbamate) and not MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide). The MoS2 that most everyone is familiar with comes as a greyish powder (solid) where as MoTDC is a clear soluble liquid (it dissolves in oil) and it does not settle out like MoS2. Some of my best wear numbers from oil analysis have come from Schaeffer oils with Moly (MoTDC). Powroll has 40+ years of 4 stroke experience and they swear by Schaeffers Micron Moly Racing Oils and have been higly recommending it to their customers for wet clutch use for many years. Not all moly is bad, but it can be a problem if the wrong type, wrong size and wrong concentrations are used. Here's a link to Powroll if anyone wants more info about them or wants to verify what I've said about them recommending Schaeffers Micron Moly racing oils.

• resslera

Posted March 07, 2005 - 07:41 PM

I'm using "red cap" mobil 1 in the BRP now thinking that if it slips, I'll dump it and continue to use MC specific oil. The new Mobil 1 "Extended Performance" increased the good stuff, zinc and phosphorous along with slightly increasing the moly. I don't think this stuff is all of a sudden bad to use. I too used Delo in my other bike.

• beer_studd_76

Posted March 08, 2005 - 05:59 AM

on the plus side, we've still got delvac 1300, rotella t, and super tech 15w-40.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.