My new 03 450 has reopened the fun factor

10 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted March 07, 2005 - 07:52 AM

I just spent some money to add complete Enzo suspension, Top end, new cam to my almost 3 year old 450. I was considering a 2005 new bike - but did not feel like there was any real advantage to this. After my first ride on the "new" bike and I can tell you I am completely happy with my investment. The bike simply is not the same machine...It has relit my enthusiasm for riding and racing as I was becoming very bored and lithargic on my "old" 450.

Enzo is the best suspension system for this 03 blue bike - I was jumping things I could only dream about. My confidence is very high - the plushness over braking bumps and hard landings is incredible - I should have done this a long time ago! It is well worth the $.

The cam I had installed came from the same folks that do Kyle Lewis's Hondas....now my bike just pulls and pulls and pulls like a freight train....so much better than stock!

The bottom line is this : My bike is completely set up for me and my riding style. It turns incredible now with the new suspension and the existing Storm Link - much better than ever before. My confidence with this "new" ride is unbelievable and I am extremely happy that I did not purchase a 05 to find that I would have to dump a ton of money in it to make it right! :)

• Jetsprint2

Posted March 07, 2005 - 08:10 AM

Good Thread, I am curious does the storm linkage help a lot and how difficult is it to install one. I have an 04' 450 and really like it as well, I have heard that the 03 and 04 have a better engine than the 05, you made a good decision. Sounds like your bike is flying. :)

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 07, 2005 - 08:18 AM

Very cool. I just bought a used 03 450 on friday and absolutely LOVE IT. This is my first mx bike since a 92 CR250 ( i hated that bike so much I gave up on it and bought an XR600 and went trailriding for 10 +years :) ).

Anyhow, that YZ is awesome. Maybe too awesome. I've been searching and havent exactly found the answer to this question. I need a larger tank (IMS or Clarke) and spark arrestor (was thinking FMF Q). What setup have you guys tried that you are happy with?

PS, I wouldn't mind if the S/A actually smoothed or mellowed out the power. TIA :)

• fastenuf4u

Posted March 07, 2005 - 10:18 AM

Ga426owner,
If you don't mind me asking how much did the Enzo susp. cost you? I really need a suspension overhaul due to my weight (225) and my riding style (crash through anything in my path) :) I had new springs front and rear installed which helped some but it still bottomed hard at times and didn't help much on the breaking/acceleration bumps. I am buying a house at the moment so this mod may have to wait until next winter! Gotta see what the "boss" will let me do. Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2005 - 10:22 AM

Cool, Dave. :)

Did you get the sub tanks with your Enzo forks?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted March 07, 2005 - 02:32 PM

Cool, Dave. :p

Did you get the sub tanks with your Enzo forks?

Yes, I bought these from a fellow TTer Mr. Kato from this sight. :) I also went with the titanium rear spring. shock bottoming kit, fork springs and some other accessories...

Warning it is not cheap! :)
front fork spings - 90 .47kg for weight 190-210lbs
revalve - 170
parts/oil/seals - 70
Rear RCS Ti spring - 350 this baby is 3/4 lbs lighter than stock 5.5kg for my weight
revalve - 160
parts/oil seals - 35
bottoming kit - 45

Enzo Subtanks from fellow TT'er - 250 including the carbon fiber holders and oil lines and fittings

Shipping/insurance 125.00 I shipped entire suspension in a hard shell /foam insert case...it was heavy, but completely safe.

All I can say is it is worth the money as I have been very frustrated with my 03 recently. I could not seem to get any faster....my confidence fell apart and riding became boring...I lost whatever edge that I thought I had.. probably all mental anyway! :D

• Ga426owner

Posted March 07, 2005 - 02:35 PM

Good Thread, I am curious does the storm linkage help a lot and how difficult is it to install one. I have an 04' 450 and really like it as well, I have heard that the 03 and 04 have a better engine than the 05, you made a good decision. Sounds like your bike is flying. :)

absolutely the best product to make the 03 450 yzf turn ............add 1-2mm of sag and raise the forks 8mm...

It is easy to install, although most of the headache was taking the stock linkage off....

• ChasYZF

Posted March 07, 2005 - 02:46 PM

I have an '03 YZ450F with Kayaba 46mm forks (these come stock on the bike) that have been re-valved by Tech-Care Suspension, .48kg Race Tech springs, and Tech-Care sub-tanks. I have a 5.4kg Race Tech spring on the rear shock. I can tell you having the sub tanks on the forks allows for more fork oil (90mm instead of 110 or 120mm from top of fork tube). This helps the plushness alot. I had Larry Dukes from LSD Racing service my suspension recently, and he did a great job. To smooth out the powerful engine I bought a Zip Ty flywheel weight at 11oz. Be warned once you fit the flywheel weight on the Yami you'll start feeling the bumps on the ground rather than the chug of the motor, and you'll want to adjust your compression settings accordingly. Also note that the sub tanks from Tech Care have a low speed compression adjustment nut on the bottom along with a Schrader valve to bleed off air build up between motos. Bolt on a Icat ignition module, White Bros. Carbon Pro Exhaust and some RG3 upper clamps (smooth out bumps even more) and you'll love your blue beast. Plenty of power for any situation coupled with a plush suspension equals much much fun!

• ChasYZF

Posted March 07, 2005 - 02:50 PM

Anybody know where I can get that Storm Link? I think that's about all I'm missing on my Yami.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 07, 2005 - 02:55 PM

Anybody know where I can get that Storm Link? I think that's about all I'm missing on my Yami.

Chaz, Larry D does great work! Congrats

http://stormcycles.com

and MXSouth sells them....

• bluethundaaaa

Posted March 10, 2005 - 02:13 PM

I just had my 02 WR426F suspension done by Enzo and the total cost with shipping is right at $698.00. It is still in transit at this time. I weight 220 without gear and I had an awful time trying to make the stock suspension work for me. I didn't have the subtanks put on as I didn't have the money at this time and I can add them later if I think I need to. Anyway I am excited to hear your experience with Enzo and I hope I have a similar one. I will try to report back after I get it back together. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.