carb problem

23 replies to this topic
  • saucebox

Posted March 06, 2005 - 11:30 PM

sat afternoon i took my bike out. got all geared up and unloaded it from the pickup and when i fired it up it ran like total crap. couldn't keep it running and i could tell it was running way lean so i thought maybe it was cuz of all the mud on it cuz i hadn't washed it from my last ride so i started knocking the mud off all my air hoses and made sure they were ok but it still did it then i felt around my carb and on the bottom there was a hole and when i put my finger over the hole it would run fine. not sure if a screw fell out or what but i'm pretty sure this was my problem. kind of looked at my shop manual and didnt really see any bolt there on the diagrams. also when i took my finger off the hole it had a small amount of gas on it. anyone else ever have this happen?! i can hardly believe that bolts would just be falling off my carb. my bikes a 04 and it dont have that awefully many hours on it. :)

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 07, 2005 - 02:59 AM

Is the hole in the very front on the bottom? If so it may be the hole where your fuel screw goes, and it could definitely run funny if the fuel screw fell out.

• saucebox

Posted March 07, 2005 - 03:07 AM

that must be it cuz thats where it is.. in the front of the carb on the bottom.. i've never even touched my fuel screw.. weird that it would fall out like that

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted March 07, 2005 - 05:20 AM

Yep, sounds like your fuel screw fell out.....Get an adjustable one from Zip-Ty, or there are others available. Then, you can adjust it 'on the fly' so to speak, to suit temperature/altitude, which these bikes can be very fussy about, as you probably know.....

• WRookie

Posted March 07, 2005 - 03:48 PM

Sorry to hear you lost your pilot screw. To make matters worse, you now need to buy a new screw, washer, o-ring and spring. They only come as a set.

• saucebox

Posted March 07, 2005 - 10:46 PM

So i'll have to buy the whole set from yamaha and i cant just buy this http://shop.thumpert...wb_15-818.htm?? its been so dang cold here all week i havent even looked at it yet.

• fastenuf4u

Posted March 08, 2005 - 06:18 AM

saucebox,
If it was your fuel screw that fell out the Zip-Ty unit from the Thumpertalk shop would work fine. I am not sure if that unit comes with an O-ring gasket, washer, and spring but if not you will have to get one from Yamaha and just take the spring/washer/O-ring off and put it on the Zip-Ty model. I am sure it will be more expensive but having the hand adjustable fuel screw is awesome. As the temp increases just reach down their and give her a 1/4-1/2 turn and go.

Dang, I just looked at Yamahaoftroy.com and a new fuel screw setup is $25!! I was thinking maybe $10. Good luck.

• saucebox

Posted March 08, 2005 - 12:28 PM

my plan is to just buy the zip ty fuel screw and then get the washer, o-ring, and spring at one of the local hardware stores. now my question is. does the o-ring go on b4 or after the washer. i cant really tell by looking at my shop manual. and does anybody know what size o-ring and what size washer along with length and size of spring i will need??

• fastenuf4u

Posted March 08, 2005 - 02:00 PM

I believe their are directions with pictures that should come with the Zip-Ty fuel screw, I know their was with the Storm fuel screw. I can't remember the order of how things went on or the length of the spring, sorry.

• wyatt426

Posted March 08, 2005 - 10:37 PM

with pilot screw facing up. from top to bottom. the order is o-ring,washer,spring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WRookie

Posted March 09, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Good luck searching for the parts. Let us know if you find substitutes that fit.

• saucebox

Posted April 07, 2005 - 09:33 AM

couldnt find a washer that fit but i found an o-ring at the local hardware store. had to cut the spring they had but it seems to work just fine without the washer.

• walent215

Posted April 07, 2005 - 02:12 PM

i just tried 2 different zip ty fuel screws and both back themselves out under rpm i wouldnt recommend zip ty storm also sells them and i think there are a couple of others that sell them

• Ga426owner

Posted April 07, 2005 - 06:33 PM

i just tried 2 different zip ty fuel screws and both back themselves out under rpm i wouldnt recommend zip ty storm also sells them and i think there are a couple of others that sell them

Excuse me please explain? :D You must be missing parts too.... :naughty: I have had mine on since 03 and it has never "backed itself out under RPM" I remove it and reinstall it a lot for carb adjustments it does not fall out!
- Zip Ty fuel screw is a great product if it is installed correctly :naughty:

• walent215

Posted April 07, 2005 - 06:56 PM

ya i installed both correctly and both were noticably loose installed the second one with all new parts oring washer and spring maybe just bad luck

• Ga426owner

Posted April 08, 2005 - 05:36 AM

ya i installed both correctly and both were noticably loose installed the second one with all new parts oring washer and spring maybe just bad luck

noticably loose ? When you screwed it in, did you screw it in the entire way? It will completely tighten - then back it out 1.5 turns to set - if it is the correct fuel screw - it should not be loose -

• redright

Posted April 08, 2005 - 08:20 AM

Good luck finding the spring, washer, and o-ring at the hardware store that small and in stainless. I searched and searched when mine fell out. Had to buy a new stock set up and the Zip-Ty.

• saucebox

Posted April 08, 2005 - 10:22 AM

actually i found the spring and o-ring with no problem at hardware hank. the guy had to go in the back room and get it for me though because they didnt have anything that small out on the shelves. the spring i found was too long but i just cut it down so that it would fit. i never put the washer in and it seems to be working just fine without it. i've probably only gotten 15 hours on since i put it back in but it hasnt moved any and runs like a champ. an m2 washer is almost the right size, you need to drill the hole out just a tish bit more and then stick something though it and spin it up against a grind wheel so that it grinds evenly and takes just a **** hair off the outside and it would work but i was 80 miles from my shop so i had to improvise and just not put the washer in.

• walent215

Posted April 08, 2005 - 12:43 PM

ya i ran it all the way in and back out 2 turns also a friend had the same problem on his bike he got another one and that one worked for him like i said just bad luck i guess

• Ga426owner

Posted April 08, 2005 - 12:55 PM

ya i ran it all the way in and back out 2 turns also a friend had the same problem on his bike he got another one and that one worked for him like i said just bad luck i guess

It sounds like you were sent the wrong one twice for your carb..... :naughty:

They really do work well -

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.