01 426 kick start

18 replies to this topic
  • moach1

Posted March 06, 2005 - 09:04 PM

my newphew just bought a 01 426. and it is a pain in the ass to start. i know there must be a easy way to start it. so far we are holding the hot start and giving it 12 easy follow through kicks to help decompress it and then let go of the hot start and a good kick, and it seems to work sometimes. does any one know any better ways. my newphews right leg would greatly appreciate it.

• fixxor

Posted March 06, 2005 - 09:12 PM

Well i just got my 01 yz426f saturday first 4 stroke ever. The guy i bought it from showed me how to start it and i think im getting the hang of it.

1. kick till it stops
2. bring kick starter to top and press the decomp then kick it 1/4 way
3. then give it a nice kick and it should start

This is how ive been doing it so far and this thing starts up 1st kick pretty much.

• thumper245

Posted March 06, 2005 - 09:55 PM

Well i just got my 01 yz426f saturday first 4 stroke ever. The guy i bought it from showed me how to start it and i think im getting the hang of it.

1. kick till it stops
2. bring kick starter to top and press the decomp then kick it 1/4 way
3. then give it a nice kick and it should start

This is how ive been doing it so far and this thing starts up 1st kick pretty much.

That is what I do with my 400 and this is what my friend did with his 426. I hope this helps you out. It is really an easy bike to start. You might want to change the spark Plug.

• rakkno

Posted March 07, 2005 - 08:24 AM

Tell him to make absolutely sure you don't touch the throttle,look at it or even think about it. Any throttle will give another 5-10 kicks. My bike will usually start on the first kick if the above is follwed. :)

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted March 07, 2005 - 10:26 AM

i just push the kickstarter all the way down with my foot. then i let it come back up and give it a nice kick and it starts first kick. oh wait, i have a hot cams exhaust cam. haha.

but before i had it i just cleared it with like 10 kicks holding the decomp lever. then releases the kick starter. gave it two quick twists of the throttle. pulled in the decomp a little and pushed the kick starter down like and inch or two. then releases the starter to the top and releases the decomp lever. kicked it and it would start first time. the two quick twists of the throttle helped when starting it. only do it before the first kick. dont keep doin it if the bike doesnt start. oh, and dont forget the choke if its cold.

• JAYG

Posted March 07, 2005 - 12:57 PM

Ive had my 01 426f four about 4 wks now and had the same trouble,i changed the plug and hey presto first kick.It still takes a few kicks still now, its getting top dead center every time, once youve mastered it it will come easy, im still learning ,80% there.
Its well worth the hassle of starting it cos its an awesome machine :)
J :)

• buck_y_lee

Posted March 07, 2005 - 03:47 PM

geez, keep it simple.

cold:
1. pull choke
2. push kicker through to TDC (the hard spot)
3. pull decomp and push kicker 1 inch past TDC
3. return kicker to top
4. kick through steadily to the bottom

hot:
1. pull hotstart
3-4 as above.

No throttle.

• fatnugget

Posted March 07, 2005 - 04:01 PM

I would recommend doing the exhaust cam mod. My bike is easier to start than ever and it seems to have really punched up the bottom to mid range powerwise. Plus I have one less lever on my handlebars to worry about.

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2005 - 06:08 PM

Do the DCM (decompression cam modification)

Until then, check Yamaha's own YZ426 starting video

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Driftwood

Posted March 07, 2005 - 07:22 PM

my 426 start 1st or 2nd kick Bucky Y Lee has got it right , if it does not start change the plug

• moach1

Posted March 07, 2005 - 08:56 PM

thank you!!! i will get him trained!!! :)

• fatboyrv

Posted March 07, 2005 - 09:16 PM

thanks uncle matt see you next weekend

russ

01 yz 426

• Chills

Posted March 08, 2005 - 09:11 AM

Put a 450 Cam in it, and save his leg for other extra curricular activity! If you know what I mean....

I had the same prob when I got mine...Yes its a pain, and yes the drill works. But put a autodecomp cam in it, and its a 2-3 kick wonder.

When mine is cold, I give the throttle 1 twist, and 1 kick, and its running. After its warm/hot, I almost always pull the Hot Start and kick 2-3 times, and its fired. Have yet to be stuck kicking and kicking....

And depending on where you look or read, I believe Yamaha recommends in their manual giving 1-2 twists of the throttle prior to starting, but I would have to check. But with the 450 cam in mine and when its cold, I almost always twist the throttle 1 time, and it fires on first kick...

• jinois

Posted March 08, 2005 - 12:28 PM

1. push it till it stops
2. push decomp' and push the kick a bit mor
3. releas boath of them
4. now give a good kick

works for me for tow years!

• Chills

Posted March 08, 2005 - 12:42 PM

I think what jinois is trying to say is:

1. Kick it till it stops
2. Pull decompression lever and kick a bit more past TDC
3. Release both of them
4. Now give a good kick

Has Worked for me for two years!

• fatboyrv

Posted March 08, 2005 - 07:24 PM

hey Matt it Tuesday i put a new plug in and ran it pretty hard and i went to feed my pig i had no gear on i had just shoes and pants and the bike started right by and it was hott so i think the new plug is gonna help out a lot thanks everyone

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted March 09, 2005 - 05:23 AM

Yep, thats just how i do it as buck y lee said.

• myoung

Posted March 09, 2005 - 11:35 AM

geez, keep it simple.

cold:
1. pull choke
2. push kicker through to TDC (the hard spot)
3. pull decomp and push kicker 1 inch past TDC
3. return kicker to top
4. kick through steadily to the bottom

hot:
1. pull hotstart
3-4 as above.

No throttle.

^^^ This is the correct way to start a stock 426. ^^^

Just kick it and go! < This is how you start one with a YZ450 or Hot Cams auto decompress exhaust cam. :)

• NorCal426

Posted March 28, 2005 - 09:54 PM

hey, i know what you mean. what i like to do is ALWAYS use either the hot start or the choke, no matter what. when its cold use choke and clear it out with decomp lever pulled in and a few kicks, then with decomp out slowly push kicker down till it stops then bring it back up, do that untill its hard right at the top. thenwith decomp in push down started only about an inch or two, then relase the decomp and bring started back up and kick. when hot do same thing with hot start thought. NEVER give it throttle while kicking or you wont be walking for another week or two. i just purchased the same bike and had a horrible time starting it until i came across this site http://www.micapeak....c/starting.html went outside and started first kick. when you want to bump start it down a hill it is quit easy. this is the only time u dont need the choke or hotstart to start it. simply roll down a hill in first gear with clutch and decomp in, then realse the clutch and right after that release decomp. it should fire right up with a little bit of gas. i hope i have helped you, let me know how it works out for you

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.