• jws

Posted March 06, 2005 - 07:25 PM

Clarke 4.3
Posted Image
IMS 3.2
Posted Image

• carivercpl

Posted March 06, 2005 - 07:51 PM

I am going to ask this and going to get alot of 2cents on this. But i ask you since you have both and I am looking at getting a tank. I like the Clark but I would buy the IMS. question1: How do they fit and feel on the 650? I have a 650L. question2: Is that a white or natural? and can you see the fuel level?. Thanks in advance

• jws

Posted March 06, 2005 - 08:01 PM

I am going to ask this and going to get alot of 2cents on this. But i ask you since you have both and I am looking at getting a tank. I like the Clark but I would buy the IMS. question1: How do they fit and feel on the 650? I have a 650L. question2: Is that a white or natural? and can you see the fuel level?. Thanks in advance

I like both tanks - the clarke is a little bigger feeling and good for 100 - 120 miles between gas stops. The IMS feels a little thinner kind of like the stock tank and gets 80 + miles between stops - Most the ride i do anymore are under 60 miles so i run the 3.2 but if i were to be on a longer DS ride i will just put the 4.3 back on :) Both my tanks are natural and yes you can see the fuel level.

I can tell you that i do not care for the IMS 4.6 i think its a little to fat around my legs JMHO :)

• carivercpl

Posted March 06, 2005 - 08:04 PM

Is the clark 4.3 "feel" large like the IMS 4.6???

• jws

Posted March 06, 2005 - 08:20 PM

i have been riding around for the last 2 years with my clarke 4.3 and it never felt like it was to big - unless i was on some tight ass single track with a full tank.

I just picked up the IMS 3.2 a couple of months back and do like it a little better for the kind of riding i do its a little narrower in the leg area :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted March 06, 2005 - 08:22 PM

I've also had both tanks as well and prefer the IMS 3.2 for its sleek and thinner shape. The Clarke bolted up slightly easier for me and without any hassles. My IMS 3.2 tanks have required me to trim the insides of one of the radiator shrouds to fit, but that's not a biggie for me.

• craft

Posted March 06, 2005 - 09:06 PM

Here's a Clarke 4.0 on a 650L. It doesn't feel bulky at all...and 4.0 vs. 3.2 is 25% more range. :)

http://img.photobuck...ft/27dc5783.jpg

• drex

Posted March 07, 2005 - 12:30 PM

Hmmm . . . I have only used the stock and the IMS 4.6 on the 650R.

I just started using the 4.6 last month when I had consecutive 100+ mile days.

On the long dirt roads in AZ I didn't notice the weight of the big tank.

When I did notice it was when I was standing up riding, stretching my legs.

I could feel the tank agains my knees (I'm 6' 3") and I liked it!

I've always been bothered by the slimness of the stock tank when sliding up for a heavy turn -- I like the feel of the old XR600 tank better.

Anyway, I really like the IMS 4.6, but can't speak about the Clarke 4.3.

It does get a lot of comments, like, 'holy sh#$ that's the biggest tank I've ever seen.'

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 07, 2005 - 04:49 PM

I also use the IMS 4.6 and like it in the open desert. I rode with it for years on tight single track and there were times when it was a hand full. Since I added a Rekluse auto-clutch I can do pretty much anything with little effort.

When I know the ride is only going to be 55 or less miles I will often run the stock tank. :)

• Troy_Bell

Posted March 08, 2005 - 07:11 AM

OK, I'm going to put in my 2-cents worth. I have a Clarke 4.3 on my XR650R and the reason is this. My brother had a DR650 and he purchased an IMS tank for it for more range. We had a difficult time getting it to bolt up correctly. Once we did, we put gas in it and it started dripping out of the petcock. We pulled the tank back off and removed the petcock. As it turned out, the surface for the petcock wasn't even flat. The base of the petcock could not seal properly. We took a flat file and spent the next 30 minutes shaving off plastic until it was smooth and flat. Problem solved. Next by buddy bought an IMS for his DR400S. He had problems with the holes aligning correctly. In fact, he had to enlarge them to make it fit. These two experiences drove me towards the Clarke. When I got it, it took around 15 minutes to transfer the hardware and it bolted up like stock. I was so happy! :) The only minor issue I had was the upper radiator hose clamp. It was a little close for my comfort, so I loosened it and rotated it out of the way. Since then, my brother sold the DR650 and bought an XR400. He purchased a Clarke tank and it bolted up no problems either. In my opinion, I think that the quality of the Clarke is a little better than the IMS. Just my opinion.

• beer_studd_76

Posted March 08, 2005 - 08:44 PM

how big is the stock 650R tank?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.