YZ400 spark plug change tips please

10 replies to this topic
  • simimi

Posted March 06, 2005 - 04:06 PM

Hi all,

Is there a special tool or procedure for changing the plug on my 98 YZ400?

I have run it for several years with the same plug, probably should change it, just in case,

thanks

Mike

• tammie

Posted March 06, 2005 - 04:16 PM

i have the 99 yz400 if its the same as mine, im sure it is, just take off the gas tank , pop off the spark plug boot ....all you need is your 5/8ths spark plug socket, an extension and your socket wrench, the spark plug is a ways down in the valve casing so thats why you need the extension for your rachet..... loosen it up and pull it out, put the new one in, be carefull not to cross thread when tightning up the new plug...and watch out for mud and dirt it can build up in the spark plug housing if your cap is not on tight.......clean all that out........and you can even apply spark plug protector(buy at the store) to keep the boot and plug from rusting for the next time and allow for easy removal....

thats it........

• simimi

Posted March 06, 2005 - 08:11 PM

Thanks, I will pull the plug tomorrow, and pick up a replacement!

Mike

• rws

Posted March 07, 2005 - 04:19 AM

Just a little suggestion about getting new plugs... I've found that Advance Auto Parts will usually order you a plug [or 4] and they are typcially 50% of what the dealer charges. I've gotten my plugs from Advance Auto Parts for the past 4 years now. Saved quite a sum of money... and just found out... the plugs come with a 1 or 2 year warranty [depends on the type you purchase]. Example: Standard NGK CR8E [my 426 uses] approx $2 w/1yr warranty, Iridium NGK approx $6 [latest thing since platnium] w/2yr warranty.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted March 07, 2005 - 05:27 AM

Just a little suggestion about getting new plugs... I've found that Advance Auto Parts will usually order you a plug [or 4] and they are typcially 50% of what the dealer charges. I've gotten my plugs from Advance Auto Parts for the past 4 years now. Saved quite a sum of money... and just found out... the plugs come with a 1 or 2 year warranty [depends on the type you purchase]. Example: Standard NGK CR8E [my 426 uses] approx $2 w/1yr warranty, Iridium NGK approx $6 [latest thing since platnium] w/2yr warranty.

Wow, i'm coming to live in the US!!! Over here, stock NGK CR8E's are about $10-12, and CR8EIV's (Iridium's) are $18-20. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRFThumper

Posted March 07, 2005 - 05:47 AM

cr8eg and the flex socket that comes with a new bike!

• simimi

Posted March 07, 2005 - 06:00 AM

Thanks again for the great info. I found the NGk plug, and the Iridium listing as CR8EIX , but could not locate the CRE8G as you mentioned above.

Also, the last plug has lasted since I bought the bike, 4 years ago. Any reason to upgrade to the iridium if what is in there has worked so well?

I run the FMF Q pipe, and bike starts on 3 kicks cold, 1 kick hot. I usually do not need to run the hot start button unless it is a hot day.

thanks

Mike

• 97zjguy

Posted March 07, 2005 - 04:20 PM

a 3/8 universal or wobble swivel would'nt hurt. it makes it alot easier to get the plug in and out, as the backbone of the frame is partially overtop of the plug hole. take your time, i also used compressed air to blow anything out of the recessed cavity where the plug is. i just got mine a couple months ago, i am still working out the bugs, but if you paid less than 2 grand for it, than you have some room to work with. at least that's my opinion. lol

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2005 - 04:42 PM

Motion Pro makes a neat little combination plug socket and extension for these that can be used on 450's and 250F's with the tank on (barely). Might not work with a 400/426.

• MONTANATHUMPER

Posted March 09, 2005 - 08:51 AM

Don't know if just any plug wrench and extension will work, the bike should have come with a pivoting plug wrench. If you purchased your bike used and you didn't get the wrench, you can pick them at your local Yamy dealer for around $15. It makes the process a whole lot easier.

MThumper

• CRFThumper

Posted March 10, 2005 - 05:46 AM

OOPS! I just got back to this thread and saw my boo boo that should have been a CR8EK sorry :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.