Drilling holes in the airbox side cover of the pig

33 replies to this topic
  • Red_Devil

Posted April 13, 2005 - 11:10 AM

I'm about to put the drill to work and ventilate the beast, is it worth it? Whats the best pattern to use for the holes?

If you haven't already done this, the HRC-recommended cutout looks like this.
I used a scroll saw to do mine- worked really well, but make sure you use a blade suitable for plastic (finer teeth) & don't go too fast or the plastic starts to melt & get gooey.

I have a .pdf of HRC's dimensions somewhere (it's online, too, but I can't remember where) so let me know if you want it & I'll dig through my files later.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 13, 2005 - 11:46 AM

Well here is how I did it. The Honda shop carried these vent plugs. Each one has it's own foam filter in it so water would first have to get through the plugs foam filter before it could touch the main filter and then get inside the air box. Everything is pretty dirty cause I didn't wash the bike since our desert ride last Saturday.

Posted Image

• qadsan

Posted April 13, 2005 - 12:46 PM

Those little round foam filtered air vents are the Uni filtered air vents from Uni Filter and they come six to the package for $8.95 retail.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 13, 2005 - 04:29 PM

Those little round foam filtered air vents are the Uni filtered air vents from Uni Filter and they come six to the package for $8.95 retail.

Correct :naughty:

• miguelitro

Posted April 13, 2005 - 07:47 PM

Correct :D

seems awfully pricey :naughty:
around here they are no more than $8.85.
Mike :naughty: really bored tonight :D

• XRoverall

Posted May 05, 2005 - 05:30 PM

I'm getting ready to install the Barnums airbox kit. I've read Gadsan's article which states:
"make sure you don't cut out any of the plastic supports ribs and leave enough room around them so the side cover structure isn't compromised"
Which support ribs? the one's which seem to be holding the filter in tighter or the ribs around the outside?

Thanks!

• frankstr

Posted May 05, 2005 - 05:43 PM

Here's mine with the Uni vents and I only paid 6.50 a pack.......... :)
http://i5.photobucke...tr/Dscn0283.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bork

Posted May 05, 2005 - 05:54 PM

2x4 kickstand? :)

• frankstr

Posted May 05, 2005 - 06:02 PM

Whatever works........... :)

• pchansen

Posted May 05, 2005 - 06:31 PM

Geeze Frankstr, my Pig hasn't looked that clean since I picked it up from the dealer.
Your bike looks awesome! - what fender pack are you using?
Paul

• August

Posted May 05, 2005 - 06:33 PM

I am about to do this mod, never did it on my old 650R, but I am hearing other people say there are some other things you need to do inside the airbox.

Is there another baffle or something that needs to come out? I will run a XR's Only backfire screen in place of the stocker and a UNI filter, plus I was planning on drilling the holes, may use a Barnums kit or make my own, but what else inside the airbox needs to be removed?

• frankstr

Posted May 06, 2005 - 04:36 AM

Just make the holes, I dont think there is anything else to take out.......
Sounds like you have it coverd, Send pics when done....... :)

• frankstr

Posted May 06, 2005 - 04:38 AM

Paul, Its a moose bag, made buy Chase Harper........ :)

• needsprayer

Posted May 06, 2005 - 03:36 PM

Here's my Side Panel Cutout .

I had a oxygen sensor go bad on a car so the whole unit had to be replaced. It had this great screen in there so I used it. Only cost $100 for that screen. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.