dented muffler

8 replies to this topic

Posted March 06, 2005 - 01:21 AM

i just bought a 2002 426.i noticed that there is a large dent in the muffler.i was wondering if it will affect the performance.if so should i drill out the rivots and remove the dents.thanks

• gregwr450f

Posted March 06, 2005 - 02:29 AM

i just bought a 2002 426.i noticed that there is a large dent in the muffler.i was wondering if it will affect the performance.if so should i drill out the rivots and remove the dents.thanks

Depends on how big it is, get it out anyway so it looks better.
Your question is strange,
Did you not notice it prior to purchase?
You then you say there is more then one. (dents)

Maybe I'm just picky :)

Posted March 06, 2005 - 05:20 AM

yes i noticed it before i bought it.my friend raced it for a year,it is pretty clean.i was just wondering about the dent.the dent is located on the inside bottom.(closest to the tire)it doesn't show unless you look for it.i was just wondering if it hampered the performance.thanks

• drewpeacock

Posted March 06, 2005 - 06:06 AM

I believe that "dent" came from the factory that way in order to clear the tire upon bigger landings. Mine had one too and I went back to the dealer and looked at a floor model and it had the same dent. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtboy01

Posted March 06, 2005 - 11:36 AM

my yzf 426 has one two but if its factory than why is it so rough and looks like crap and mine is in the same place as 49009.

• ToooFaarOutt

Posted March 06, 2005 - 12:04 PM

It Belongs There !!!! Leave It

• RichBaker

Posted March 06, 2005 - 12:12 PM

It might be there for brake caliper clearance, if it's on the bottom. I know the 03 YZ-F has one on it's muffler for that purpose....

• jamieyz426f01

Posted March 06, 2005 - 12:13 PM

the tyre has probably hit the muffler when your mate raced it.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted March 07, 2005 - 05:34 AM

It might be there for brake caliper clearance, if it's on the bottom. I know the 03 YZ-F has one on it's muffler for that purpose....

Rich is correct. It's for caliper clearance, when the rear suspension is fully compressed. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.