WR426???? should i get it?

6 replies to this topic
  • drive805

Posted March 06, 2005 - 12:49 AM

i ride an 83 honda 600.... a beast to say the least but reliable,
i have a chance to get a 02'wr 426 that is in great shape
What are the pros and cons? would it be worth it to get or should i stay with honda and get the crf450 or the xr400 thanks for any info

• huskyrider

Posted March 06, 2005 - 06:40 AM

What type of riding do you do?
Personally, I don't think there is a better bike available. Except, perhaps, the new Yami or KTM 450 enduro's.
I love my WR's, you can't find a more versatile motorcycle.
It's a great race bike for Enduro's and Hare Scrambles, and a pretty fair MX'r too.
With a street legal conversion you can connect trails in the Nat'l Forest on forest roads without fear of a ticket from the forest ranger and ride MX on the same bike.
Unless your exclusively into trail riding, I wouldn't recommend a XR400. Although a very good bike, it's really limited in it's ability to cover ground at race pace without major suspension work. If a low maintenance trail bike is your objective get the XR. (not that WR's are high maintenance, they're just more race oriented)
I'd say you can't go wrong with the purchase. :)

See Ya,
Kelly

• Bamster

Posted March 06, 2005 - 06:47 AM

Get it dude. You won't be disappointed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted March 06, 2005 - 07:45 AM

I would definitely do the move. You will be very happy with the bike. I've done woods riding, mx track, tons of miles on the pavement with mine and it has never let me down. Very reliable bike. Crazy suspension! Lots of power.

Plus, you can easilly configure it to your preference with YZ426 parts if you want. Because it is basically a modified YZ426, they share a lot of parts and there is a huge aftermarket. Many used parts available on the net from individual sellers too (have a look on e-bay). Many of us prefer their WR426 with the YZ timing or with YZ tank and seat ergos... Some will even upgrade to autodecomp cams from the 450f.

That said, this engine is a pure wonder. I've opened mine for the first time this year to check the valves (normal maintenance after 10 000 Km) and I'm not an engineer so my opinion stands for what it is worth but I think it is soooo well built.

I agree with what was said by husky all the way too. Recent EXCs from KTM are great and yamaha 450fs are great too but if not, the 426s are the best.

Buy that bike and come back talking with us :)

• drive805

Posted March 06, 2005 - 09:55 AM

wow thanks for the raving reviews.... i have been told by my riding buddys... PLEASE get a new bike, that all around riding would be better and that i would be much faster, so i'm going to take a closer look and i will let you all know thanks again

• JamesD

Posted March 06, 2005 - 10:20 AM

An '83 600 Honda? No wonder they are telling you to get a new bike!
It wouldn't be difficult to be faster than that! LOL

Any 400-450 from the last 5 years will be so much better and faster than what you have you won't regret switching. Even an XR400 is better... not as fast as a WR but better than what you have.

The maintenance on the WR is more than you're accustomed too but it's not extreem by any means.

If it's in great shape and you can afford it... go for it!

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 06, 2005 - 10:22 AM

i ride an 83 honda 600.... a beast to say the least but reliable,
i have a chance to get a 02'wr 426 that is in great shape
What are the pros and cons? would it be worth it to get or should i stay with honda and get the crf450 or the xr400 thanks for any info

Get the WR! I've been riding Honda Thumpers for years (still do) but the new generation Yamaha 4-strokes set the standard for all the others.

I bought a well-used '02 and it's the most fun bike I've owned. I actually "think" I'm getting better at off-roading at 43. No regrets. Just be careful of the upper end of the power band. It'll put you on your ass in a hearbeat. YEE-HAH!!!:)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.