426 found new home

10 replies to this topic
  • duecethree

Posted March 05, 2005 - 09:01 PM

Just got my first thumper home today. Got a 02 426. I do have a small problem. I thought I had the starting drill down but obviously I don't. I think I flooded it. I shut the fuel off and held the decomp and kicked it over around 10 times. On one of the kicks it "popped' in the pipe. I let it sit for an hour or so and went back out and tried to start it again. No go.

When I picked the bike up it started 2nd kick. I rode it for a couple of miles. Shut it off and it started about 15 minutes later 2nd kick.

Any ideas?

• 02YZ426

Posted March 05, 2005 - 10:02 PM

I would start with taking out the spark plug, turn off the fuel and drain the carb out. There is a small allen head bolt on the bottom of the carb, just loosen it untill all the gas drains out of the carb. Then hold the kill switch and kick it over a bunch off times to clear the gas from the cyclindar. Put a new plug in, turn your fuel back on, and it should start right up. That always works for me if I flood it real bad.

• SureBlue

Posted March 05, 2005 - 10:24 PM

Congrats and welcome.

Starting drill video:
http://www.yamaha-mo..._stroke_fr.html

Cold engine: twist the throttle 3 times, pull the choke on and kick.
Warm engine: Pull the hot start and kick.

You can adjust the idle a bit higher before kicking to help the bike start better, but while kicking DO NOT touch the throttle, warm or cold.

When I had my 426, I always used the hot start if the bike was even a little warm.

Also, put in an iridium plug, it gives better spark. :)

• thumperslider54

Posted March 06, 2005 - 06:01 AM

Screw the drill.Do the 450 cam mod.I did it in my 00 426 and haven't had A problem starting it since.I've had the same plug in it for about 6 months.This mod is A must have for any 426.It will put A :) on your face.

• SureBlue

Posted March 06, 2005 - 11:41 AM

Screw the drill.Do the 450 cam mod.I did it in my 00 426 and haven't had A problem starting it since.I've had the same plug in it for about 6 months.This mod is A must have for any 426.It will put A :) on your face.

Totally unnecessary to open up the top end only for doing it. If you cannot fire it up as it is stock, you should ride the bus. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • duecethree

Posted March 06, 2005 - 06:48 PM

changed the plug and it fired first kick. thanks for the replies.

• SureBlue

Posted March 06, 2005 - 11:36 PM

Nice to hear.
BTW - the bus was not for you.
I get irritated to smart-arse replies like slider's. Nothing to do with solving the current problem.
Keep on riding!

• thumperslider54

Posted March 07, 2005 - 04:13 AM

Nice to hear.
BTW - the bus was not for you.
I get irritated to smart-arse replies like slider's. Nothing to do with solving the current problem.
Keep on riding!

I meant after solving the current problem that the mod would be A good idea.
No need to get your panties in A wad over my opinion.Why go through A drill over A poor engineering problem which can be easily corrected?
Bite me SUREBLOW. :)

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 07, 2005 - 04:15 AM

If it won't start after a hanfull of kicks then replace the plug and it will fire right away. Especially if it goes "pop pop pop" on one of the first few kicks. Learned this the hard way a few years ago. :)

• walleye16701

Posted March 13, 2005 - 05:50 PM

Did the same thing with my 01 426. New plug time. You may want to check with your local auto parts store. I have been able to get plugs(autolite, champion,& ngk) and also oil filters(fram) from my local parts store. (advance auto) If they do not have it in stock they have it the next morning. Big time $ savings. Good luck and enjoy

• duecethree

Posted March 13, 2005 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up. It was on a sunday when i was messing with the bike so the bike shops were closed. Ended up going into NAPA and getting plugs etc for a ton cheaper than what the bike shops wanted.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.